Trusted Contributor

Re: Renting Or Buying A New Car

@Jordan2 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Why would you consider leasing a car when your current one only has 17k miles on it? Isn't it long paid for? 

Yes it is long paid for! I recently got to drive a 2015 Toyota Corolla and loved it. I really love the backup camera and everything was so luxurious. I'll probably hold on to it a little longer!

@Jordan2 - there are aftermarket backup cameras that can be added to your car!  :-)

Count my vote too as "keep the Acura."

This is one of the most amusing threads I've read on this board with posters coming out of the woodwork with interest in your car. Must feel good.

Respected Contributor

Great post!

Esteemed Contributor

Leasing is usually not a good option for drivers who drive very few or lot of miles.  The people who average 10,000 to 12,000 per year are the market for a lease.  Some dealers do offer other lease terms, however based on the mileage you drive not sure it would be a good choice.  

New cars have lots of safety features and even low mileage cars can start having major mechanical problems simply due to the age of the parts.  I drive lots of miles so I have to look at reliability. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Buy don't lease.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Why would you consider leasing a car when your current one only has 17k miles on it? Isn't it long paid for? 

Yes it is long paid for! I recently got to drive a 2015 Toyota Corolla and loved it. I really love the backup camera and everything was so luxurious. I'll probably hold on to it a little longer!

While I agree Back up cameras are great, your current car has super low miles so please save yourself leasing costs and keep driving it.  Now if it had 170,000 miles instead of 17,000 then I might give a different answer.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I drive an 2003 Acura which is in very good condition, only have 17,300 miles on it. I was wondering if anyone buys cars anymore? I was thinking of leasing a car, 3 year lease. I was wondering if at the end of the lease is there an option to buy, are you given a good deal on the car? It seems to me most people lease nowadays. Sorry but I meant to say lease not rent in the topic heading!

Poor Jordan2, no one actually answered your question. They just gave their opinions on leasing. We've leased and bought. To answer your question, yes, you can buy your leased vehicle if you want. But keep in mind it will be for top dollar and your interest rate will be astronomical. Its better to just keep on leasing a different car when your time is up or, if you have saved enough, buy a car. Hope that helps. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Why on earth would someone want to buy a new car, have to make monthly payments for up to seven years, when they have a perfectly good car with low miles on it, that's already paid for?

Just for some "fancy" gizmos?

That's about the dumbest thing that I have ever heard.

Every year, the car makers are going to come out with some new thing that's going to be the "latest and greatest must have", so, what is one going to do? Buy a new car every year just for that latest "bell and whistle"?

Talk about stupid.

Keep the current car, and save yourself a ton of $.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

I think I must be the only one that doesn't think the back-up camera is all that and a bag of chips!

I don't know if it's me or if the camera is off a little bit but the boundry lines don't seem to line up right for me.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I drive an 2003 Acura which is in very good condition, only have 17,300 miles on it. I was wondering if anyone buys cars anymore? I was thinking of leasing a car, 3 year lease. I was wondering if at the end of the lease is there an option to buy, are you given a good deal on the car? It seems to me most people lease nowadays. Sorry but I meant to say lease not rent in the topic heading!

Poor Jordan2, no one actually answered your question. They just gave their opinions on leasing. We've leased and bought. To answer your question, yes, you can buy your leased vehicle if you want. But keep in mind it will be for top dollar and your interest rate will be astronomical. Its better to just keep on leasing a different car when your time is up or, if you have saved enough, buy a car. Hope that helps. 

Thank you for your reply! The consensus here is keep the car! I guess I'll hold on to it a little longer! I have bought used cars before, never again. I should have listened to my father who always bought new, he never wanted to buy someone else's headache. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is a question that I often ask.  We are both retired and have  two cars. One is paid for totally (2007 Camry).  I cannot kill it.  It is a marvelous piece of equipment.  So there is no reason to get rid of it.  Even our insurance is based on this car... the older of the two so if I did go down to one car only the monthy payments really would  not be all that different.

Then there is the other car.  2012 Prius.  I still have a balance and here is the situation.  This car is also one great vehicle.  Unbelievable mileage... over 50 miles a gallon --- no fooling. 

We travel together, hubby and me.  We really really do not  use two cars as most couples do.  We are retired and most of the time we use only one car. 

I would love to get a new car, trade both of them in for that one.  No idea what to do.  Do I pay off the Prius.  Do I lease a car and get rid of the  other two.  Do I buy a car and get rid of the other two.  It will be a toyota... looking at the RAV4 Hybrid.  But less gal mileage, still have a balance on the Prius.  

Sorry for the length of this but I am doing nothing since I don't have a clue.