Honored Contributor

Renting Or Buying A New Car

[ Edited ]

I drive an 2003 Acura which is in very good condition, only have 17,300 miles on it. I was wondering if anyone buys cars anymore? I was thinking of leasing a car, 3 year lease. I was wondering if at the end of the lease is there an option to buy, are you given a good deal on the car? It seems to me most people lease nowadays. Sorry but I meant to say lease not rent in the topic heading!

Contributor

Re: Renting Or Buying A New Car

Hi Jordan2,

I would keep my Acura, especially if it only has 17k miles on it!

Hubs and I leased a car about 10 years ago.  We made payments as high as if we would have just bought the car.  Leasing (at that time) made no allowances for maintenance - we paid for everything.  We had to replace the entire rear bench seat, as there were a few (very small) stains on it.

Cars are expensive, and not a good investment ... but leasing is worse - just my own opinion.

Now - tell me more about your Acura that only has 17,300 miles on it ????

Trusted Contributor

I've always thought the only way you get your money out of a car is driving it until it dies. Makes sense to me. I would rather spend my money on other things not car payment. I guess that's why we are not in debt.

Trusted Contributor

I have never leased a car.  I prefer not to make a monthly payment for a car. 

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2: I bought a 2003 Acura RSX for my son in 2013.. He is still driving it at about 125,000 miles. Just drove it cross country. What a great car!! It's worth a fortune with such low mileage, depending on the model. ITA with the previous post. Do not lease. If you really want to part with the gem you have, shop it around for the best price- do not trade it in. People will fight over your car on Craigslist and at dealer sites.

If you are in or near NJ I will buy it!

Honored Contributor

@Jill2dot0 wrote:

Hi Jordan2,

I would keep my Acura, especially if it only has 17k miles on it!

Hubs and I leased a car about 10 years ago.  We made payments as high as if we would have just bought the car.  Leasing (at that time) made no allowances for maintenance - we paid for everything.  We had to replace the entire rear bench seat, as there were a few (very small) stains on it.

Cars are expensive, and not a good investment ... but leasing is worse - just my own opinion.

Now - tell me more about your Acura that only has 17,300 miles on it ????

It's a silver 2003 Acura RSX (they don't make it anymore). It is in good condition, I could maybe get around $6,000 for it. I baby it so that's why the low mileage. It would be an excellent car for a new driver. 

Esteemed Contributor

Keep the Acura!!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Trusted Contributor

I take good care of my cars and drive them until they drop.   I buy.  Once they are paid for I no longer have that payment.  The lowest number of miles was about 150,000.  It got totaled by a deer.  I live in deer country.  The most miles were 248,000.  I am retired now so I don't put on the miles I did in the past driving to and from work.  I have a 2012 Hyundai in great shape still with 34,000 miles.  Until it starts to let me down I will keep it.  I do not like the idea of leasing because the car never really belongs to me.  When time is up the dealer judges the car and decides what he thinks it is worth.  I can then buy back " my car" or i can lease another car and keep making payments.  Lease or own I am responsible for repairs, normal upkeep, tires,etc.  I have never felt the need to have the newest or keep up with the neighbors.  I enjoy using my hard earned money for myself, my family and the things that are important to us all. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2- depending on where you live and condition (garaged, leather), that car will bring $10k easily. The RSX is very much in demand. That model can easily go to 200,000 miles. Easy and cheap to maintain.

You have yourself a gem of a car!

Honored Contributor

Why would you consider leasing a car when your current one only has 17k miles on it? Isn't it long paid for? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval