Respected Contributor

Re: Renter or owner -- a host's comment

The whole point of that kind of sales tactic is to encourage women, especially those of little means, to spend what little they have on a Dooney so they can have that feeling of ownership of something supposedly valuable.  Or charge without concern how they'll pay for it.  People who can afford Dooneys are less impressed by that particular tactic but sales people will make every effort to lure in people from all income levels, it's just sad when you know someone is taken in, who needed to use their money in ways that are more likely to get them to living in a more secure or valuable situation.  There's a reason it's called "real" estate.

I try to be real about attitude, though.  It's a fact that people who can't afford one thing will spend on another.  I just hate to watch a fleecing of people living on the edge.  I own a few Dooneys -- they are nice but so are a lot of other brands and other choices. 

Respected Contributor

So, if I lose my home I'll be a classy bag lady with my Dooney bags? They are not much of an investment, check them out on Ebay.  

Honored Contributor

sounds like an idiotic comment; I would just avoid that host if you watch the live shows; I only see stuff online
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Honestly, I do not believe much of what hosts or vendors say.  

@SeaMaiden  Right.  They are salespeople.  They are not our friends,no matter how much they smile and chat on those live calls.

Especially when they say "I own 3 of these".  "I never leave the house without wearing these shoes".  "These outdoor lights (a measly string) are high end."

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

The whole point of that kind of sales tactic is to encourage women, especially those of little means, to spend what little they have on a Dooney so they can have that feeling of ownership of something supposedly valuable.  Or charge without concern how they'll pay for it.  People who can afford Dooneys are less impressed by that particular tactic but sales people will make every effort to lure in people from all income levels, it's just sad when you know someone is taken in, who needed to use their money in ways that are more likely to get them to living in a more secure or valuable situation.  There's a reason it's called "real" estate.

I try to be real about attitude, though.  It's a fact that people who can't afford one thing will spend on another.  I just hate to watch a fleecing of people living on the edge.  I own a few Dooneys -- they are nice but so are a lot of other brands and other choices. 

@Free2be  Ahhh....but the question remains did you order your D&B because you felt the name was worth it for you and would make you stand out holding a "high end" purse?

Knowing you I'd say "no" but the fact remains the world seems to spin around the old keeping up with the Joneses mentality, even more so today.

Everybody just has to have what everyone else has; and I agree the push does perpetuate that to those who can least afford. 

D&B isn't the bad person here; the remark was just plain dumb.  There are so many other things out there that are encouraged to be purchased because the person will be better for it-instead of acceptance of where one is in life one looks to a purse to enhance feelings of acceptance as part of some vague "high end" crowd.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

My sis chose to live in an expensive location and had to rent her place for many years. We live in a more rural part of the country.  She would always tell me how lucky we were to own but I used to tell her there’s a lot of work and expense involved in owning.

She and her husband recently bought their own place. It’s beautiful but now she laughingly admits it’s a lot of work and expense!  😆😆😆.  She’s having fun decorating though.  And while I’m downsizing she’s happily claiming things I no longer want. It’s working well for both of us. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I sold my house and now, as a retiree, rent an apt because it suits my needs so much better. I'm not at all insulted by this silly, desperate sales pitch analogy, though. I hear these things, just roll my eyes 🙄 and change the channel.

I don’t believe any host or vendor has ever persuaded me to buy anything. I only look at what I already want, based on my taste, needs and budget. It's more important to me that I hang on to my money in my purse, rather than which designer's name is on it. I usually carry a wristlet now, because that's easiest and all I need. I don’t define myself by material things, so their attempts are wasted on me. Typically they insult one's intelligence, while making themselves appear foolish. I don’t envy their jobs in the least- and I understand that's all it is. Sales reps. I couldn’t, in good faith, and wouldn’t do it, if I could. IMO, that's why some of the less compromising hosts and vendors are no longer around. 

Eventually, if shopping channels stay on the air, we may have robots with AI as hosts- played on a loop. 😅 I'd prefer they play relaxing music, let the models display the fashion, and put all pertinent info on the screen. I don’t need the noise and usually watch with the audio muted, while my radio plays. 

Honored Contributor

I totally agree with the jist of her comment, and it is spot on with how my husband and I have purchased things in our 43 years of marriage.   We buy quality items once and take care of them, instead of buying make do items multiple times.   

I would rather have one $200 handbag than four $50 handbags.

Honored Contributor

Who was the host?
Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal, I left the name out because I didn't want this to get into a bashing fest of a specific host. Sorry. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland