Honored Contributor

Re: Renter or owner -- a host's comment

The biggest surprise is that people actually pay attention long enough to take in what they are saying!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

I think of D&B as renting. 

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@ALRATIBA

I'm sure ur rent in a Manhattan apartment is way more than my mortgage payment - plus my taxes/insurance.

I was born in Manhattan in 1940 - when the rent was very LOW!!!!!!!!

@kivah

Perhaps - but worth it. 

Plenty of amenities. No maintenance expenses.  Convenient location / residential area - no car needed.  

Honored Contributor

I miss Kathy Levine more and more

Honored Contributor

I'd just chalk it up to another dumb comment by a host.  They really come up with some doozies to try to make you feel that a hand bag is going to make you a "somebody."  Eyeroll...

I thought LR cornered the market on that; it must be contagious.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

@fourpaws56

I'm sure I'm older than u --- and bought my house brand new in 2001. Had very few repairs -- 17 yrs later.

I'm on nextdoor dot com -- and last year, I needed minor repairs so one of my neighbors took care of it and didn't even want to charge me. I did give him a few $$$$$$. I guess if someone owns an old home - that could be costly.

@kivah  Yes, it is very costly to fix things on an older home.  My home was built in 1980.  We bought it in 1991.   Lived in this home now 26 years....

This summer we are putting on a new roof,  getting new siding and  getting 12 new windows.....just the windows are themselves $20,000.  Add the roof$$$ and siding$$$$... oh my gosh!

And this is just the outside upgrades that after 30 years need to be done.  We have lots to do inside too.....but will have to wait a few years before going there. Home ownership is very ex.pensive! 

We made our last house payment on  our home  last year when we retired..    So we are enjoying no more house payments.  But the taxes are $5000 a year now because our home value has  quadrupled since we bought it and in Seattle home prices are so ridiculously high!

Respected Contributor

I went from owning to renting this year. One of the best decisions I ever made! I guess I've always had a "renter" mentality - the only "designer" bags I have is a Lug, a Madi Claire, and a Sak I bought at a Q outlet many years ago. Otherwise, I've found them at Goodwill. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

we are renters . at first it was to find a roof for over our heads. but as the years moved on, we just stayed. my husband job of many years we were moving every 2  to 3 yrs and after 20 yrs of that, you just wnat one place to call home and not being uprooted all the time. it was just simplier and easier to stay here, we king of put down the anchor down as the saying goes .

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'll say one thing, i dont think the comment was important enough or of such consequence to merit 4 pages of discussion.  I understand we're desperate for discussion topics, however.

If you change your settings, it's only ONE page.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I did not see the show but I think its a goofy comparison, but IMO there is too much time spent on any 1 item.  It must be really tough to keep talking for several minutes to an hour on things like mattresses, pillows, sweepers, any clothing item or any thing else.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)