Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rental Question for Landlors

I think that if it were me, I would've just moved in to the house,  let the lease expire, and just let the whole carpet stain thing go.

After I had moved in to the house, I then would've told the landlord that I  wasn't  to renew. 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lenapecci wrote:

@Bri369 No the original lease was until May 31st. The new lease was also until May 31st, but we could leave to our new home and pay the rent until May 31st which I did. And then they returned the May rent payment. I agreed to it as we had to move into the new home within 60 days. I was happy they were willing to work with us. I was not trying to get out of it. Just trying to do what was right.   

@lenapecci 

Did you buy a new home?  I'm only asking because you said you had only 60 days to move into it.  If you own it, you can move in whenever you want (provided you can afford to pay both the former rent until end of lease and your new mortgage).  Do you mean the former landlord wanted you out within 60 days?  I'm confused.

I don't understand why there are two leases.  Both end on the same date.  Doesn't make a lot of sense.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Valued Contributor

@lenapecci wrote:

@Love my grandkids  Thank you, that is what I thought.  I have no plan on renting again. We are getting ready to retire. I just was not sure if or how it would affect us. When it is not a true statement. 

I will reach out the property manager on Monday for clarification.   

**********************************************************************************************

You are doing the right thing in trying to correct the statement.  This may have just been a lazy/easy reason to state on the check and possibly other documents pertaining to your lease.  You are probably ok because you have the newer lease agreement that details what occurred but now is the best time to correct the record.

If something happened to your new dwelling that made you unable to live there (fire, flood, gas line explosion, mold etc.) you could find yourself looking for a rental.  You might seem less desirable  as a tenant if the incorrect info was disclosed.  

You were smart to notify them about leaving the premises unoccupied, some states have laws that require the tenant to notify the landlord if the premises are unoccupied for more than 7 days.

Laws vary by state and even within a state.  Neither tenant or landlord gets to do just what they want.

libby's folly
Esteemed Contributor

Did they write on the check in the Memo "Moved without notice"? In my experience as a Credit and Collections Manager that would not hold up in court. I would receive checks that stated paid in full even if it wasn't. A person can write what they want in the Memo portion but that is not what counts.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you everyone.

we had to sign the new lease in order to leave early. We moved on Feb 28.  The original lease was until May 31. The new lease was the agreeement to pay the rent until May 31. 
the mortgage company stated we had to move on within 60 days. Also the law here is the rental cannot be empty. 

On the document I just received is where they stated moved without notice.  This document included the Rent for May refund and the security deposit. 
We did ask to be released from the lease in the Middle of January for the move out day on the end of February. Which was approved. This is why I did not understand why they put that on the document. 

I will contact them Monday to ask why. 

Valued Contributor

@lenapecci wrote:

If any landlords or property managers could assist with a question with the end of a lease question. 

My lease was to end May 31st. In January I asked if we could have permission to leave at the end of Feburary as we found a home we wanted to buy. The property manager agreed with a new lease agreement that I would continue to pay the rent, keep the utilities on, and renters insurance until the end of the lease.  I agreed to the terms, signed the new lease and paid a $300.00 administrative fee. 

This week they sent me Security Deposit Transmittal with two checks. One for my security deposit and a refund for the month of May's rent. Which was a surprise. I had expected to pay the full term of the lease. 

My question, is it normal practice wen refunding the security deposit and any rent refund to state of the form Moved Without Notice? Which we did not do. If we deposit the check is that consenting that we left without notice. I have not been a tenent since the early 90"s so I do not know much about renting. I tried to find help online but could not find it.  

I will ask the property managers if this is normal for end of lease forms. I hesitate at the moment as our last contact was difficult. They stated we stained the carpet during our clean out and move. I explanined how careful we were as it was important to me to leave the rental as I found it. We hired professional home cleaners and a well known carpet cleaning company. The exchange went on for two days. Then I never heard back. I continued to pay the rent, and utilites and expected they would keep the security deposit as that is what it is for. I would like to avoid another diffuicult dealing for one question. We always paid the rent early, followed all of the rules, kept up the place to how we found it as we were so appreictative to have a place to rent while we took our time finding a home.       

I am appreciative for their agreeing to let us leave early. I am just confusted as to why they would state we moved without notice.  

Thank you  

I agree with others who have said not to cash the checks before you know where you stand on the issue(s).  Cashing the checks is like accepting the terms.  I would also consider contacting someone in the state you live in for advice since laws could differ from state to state so what you read here may, or may not, apply to your situation.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This makes no sense. You should not of had to sign a new lease to leave early. You just leave and continue to pay the lease until it expires or until thdy found a new tenant.A landlord can't tell you when you can leave as long as you were honoring the lease.  The rental not being empty by law sounds like a dumb law. 

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

This makes no sense. You should not of had to sign a new lease to leave early. You just leave and continue to pay the lease until it expires or until thdy found a new tenant.A landlord can't tell you when you can leave as long as you were honoring the lease.  The rental not being empty by law sounds like a dumb law. 

I agree.  What happens if by some chance they cannot rent it immediately after it was vacated by the previous tenant?  Tell the previous tenant, no you can't leave until we find a new tenant?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lenapecci 

You know what I think happened, in case they found a renter before your May lease expired they changed you from your current lease to a MONTH TO MONTH tenancy .....perhaps thats why they required $300.....

Also on the walk through that was done without you, perhaps the Landlord did several walkthroughs that day and got your apartment mixed up with another person regarding the dispute on the carpet.....Especially if you had it cleaned and have photos to prove it something doesnt make sense....  That happened to me---- when I moved from an apartment to a condo I purchased and the Assistant Manager called to ask about my Father-In-Law staying at the apartment for a day to assist the movers in directing them which items went into storage and which were going to the new home....I told her she had me mixed up with someone else I HAVE NO FATHER IN LAW....and everything in my apartment is being moved to my new condo, no one is helping with my move except me and the moving company---Told her apparently she had me confused with someone else also moving out at the same time--come to find out she confirmed SHE MADE A MISTAKE!! Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

It sounds like they checked the wrong box somewhere. When you move without giving notice, you generally forfeit your security deposit. If they rented the unit and collected May rent from the new tenant, they would, in most cases, be obligated to refund you.