Esteemed Contributor

Re: 😠 Renewing Drivers License - N.J. 😠

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Mz iMac, I live in NYC and just renewed my license. I was able to do it by mail, sent in the renewal card, proof of eye test from my ophthalmologist, and check, that's it! The DMV doesn't make you come in to do this, I have had the same photo for eons!

@Jordan2 ... I live in NJ.  We used to be able to renew our licenses by mail.  But no longer.   I think people of a certain age got a one time "free" pass a few years ago and were allowed to renew by mail using the same photo on our previous license.  Next month I have to go to DMV to renew my DL.  

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Mz iMac - I feel your pain, lol. I am originally from NJ and had to tally up my papers, ugh. Do other states require the point system?

It really is a PIA, especially for women with the last name changes - single, married, divorced - geez. Nothing in NJ is easy when it comes to DMV or the inspection stations!!

@riley1 ...  I had a client whose real first name was a very Polish name.  But when he was a child in Catholic Schools the nuns could not his Polish name ...... so they took it upon themselves to change it.   So he had documents in both names.  DMV gave him such a difficult time that he had to have his name legally changed.  Luckily I was able to get the name-change  completed with no problems... but it took a while.  So he was not able to drive for an extended period of time.  

Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@saltysails wrote:

I wonder what docs illegal aliens need to show in order to get DL's in states that allow it.

They don't have driver's licenses but then you knew that already!

That's true @JaneMarple and @saltysailsWoman Surprised .. they are driving around without a license!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Boehm Collector - When I lived in NJ, I had to take my son (who has disabilities) to the DMV for a State ID. I probably had his BC and SS ids with me. They gave me a hard time because apparently someone else in the state has the same name/middle initial has him and has problems with the state.

The local DMV sent me to the building where you have to go to have your license reinstated. This turned into an all day affair trying to explain my son wasn't this person and doesn't know how to drive, etc.

I finally went back to the local DMV where they originally screwed up because of the middle initial. When I explained it was fault and my son doesn't drive, they were still arguing with me. Thank heavens one of the women in charge finally saw me and came out and vouched for me that my son wasn't allowed to drive (she lived in my town).

I went home with such a headache! 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

PA DLs are not "Real ID" compliant at this date.

I presume that when my mom has to get her "real ID"-compliant DL, she will have to bring her naturalization papers.  She became a citizen in early 1960s (when computers were rare), so who knows if they will have a serial # on them.  When we went thru this w/my grandmother in MD, a DMV supervisor had to call the State Dept to confirm their validity since there was no serial # on them.

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector

I am in So Joisey, Camden Co.  I went to the DMV off of Rt 70 in Cherry Hill. 

The other DMV offices are in Camden City & Medford off of Rt 70.

I'm going to Medford next time, if there is a next time.  Hopefully, at age 66 they will let me do a mail in like I had done for years.

It does not make sense to me to show up the wazoo docs just to update a photo at the time of license renewal when there has been no changes to a lifetime citizen of the USofA.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

Hi @Mz iMac ... I also live in NJ.  I have to renew my DL next month.  Not looking forward to the ordeal.   The lines and the wait times drive me insane.  But so far I have never had any issues with the 6 point documents I have provided.  I  try to go to Lodi or Wayne  even though they are further from me than the ones in my own county because their lines don't seem to be as bad.  Where did you go??

In my experience - at least in the past - Wayne is always busy.  Have you tried Randolph?  It's smaller, and very well run.

Honored Contributor

I like to sneak in first thing on a Saturday morning just as they're opening. Most people like to sleep in on Saturdays and the car dealers aren't there first thing on a Saturday morning, so the wait time is usually very short. I can be in and out very quickly that way.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Boehm Collector

I am in So Joisey, Camden Co.  I went to the DMV off of Rt 70 in Cherry Hill. 

The other DMV offices are in Camden City & Medford off of Rt 70.

I'm going to Medford next time, if there is a next time.  Hopefully, at age 66 they will let me do a mail in like I had done for years.

It does not make sense to me to show up the wazoo docs just to update a photo at the time of license renewal when there has been no changes to a lifetime citizen of the USofA.

Thanks @Mz iMac .... I am from No. Joisey. LOL.  So  Camden City and Medford are a bit too far for me.  I am a 61 year old lifetime citizen of the USA & agree that it makes no sense for us not to be permitted to renew our DL by mail or on-line.  

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

Hi @Mz iMac ... I also live in NJ.  I have to renew my DL next month.  Not looking forward to the ordeal.   The lines and the wait times drive me insane.  But so far I have never had any issues with the 6 point documents I have provided.  I  try to go to Lodi or Wayne  even though they are further from me than the ones in my own county because their lines don't seem to be as bad.  Where did you go??

In my experience - at least in the past - Wayne is always busy.  Have you tried Randolph?  It's smaller, and very well run.

Hi @NYC Susan ........  Wayne is a bit closer to me than Randolph ... but I may just give Randolph a try.  Thanks for the info.