Honored Contributor

Re: 😠 Renewing Drivers License - N.J. 😠

@Mj12 wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

I live in NJ and in the last few months had to renew my license in person and register my leased vehicle which I had purchased. Both times I had no wait.  There was a gentleman after me who said he comes down from Bergen County to avoid that rat race.

@lulu2 I used to go to Eatontown DMV.  I don't remember any significant wait.

@Mj12

We are fortunate in Monmouth County there are 4 (?) MV offices.

When we lived in Princeton, we chose to go to Hunterdon County as Mercer County was crazy.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 please don't mention Red Bank, Rumson, Monmouth Beach etc. or I'll get too homesick!  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@lulu2 please don't mention Red Bank, Rumson, Monmouth Beach etc. or I'll get too homesick!  Heart

@Mj12. Hey, MJ, you're in my old neighborhood!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@Mj12. Hey, MJ, you're in my old neighborhood!

@proudlyfromNJ I used to be in your old neighborhood.  Very small world! 

Honored Contributor

Last time I renewed in Florida, they gave me an appointment and were actually pretty much on their time target.

Yes, I needed all sorts of documents -  I think that comes out of the federal Patriot's Act from way back when W. was in office???

The documents were well explained and luckily I could easily find enough in my files.  Sadly, with all that going for me -  I couldn't pass the vision test with or without my glasses.  Who knew?  Had to see a new doc, get a new script and new lenses, get a doctor-signed form and return days later to finish the process.  Just my idea of wonderful, 2 visits to the DMV in the same month!

Hoping that with the seal on my license, I can just have a doctor do the vision test next time and mail in for my license.

Honored Contributor

wow didn't realize how bad NJ was for D.L. renewal.

I live in Delaware it is a breeze. when they implemented the federal standards 1 DL back we brought in all the paperwork, it was photocopied put on strip on back of DL back in 2012. just renewed in april. go in, take a number wait for number to be called 5 minutes, the examiner asked questions, answer them, take photo. had to take off my glasses. but this time around we could smile.

in 15 minutes I was done and we are now renewed for 8 years YIPEEEEEE

Respected Contributor

I renewed mine last August in the Somerville, NJ  location and they are very efficent and nice. So yeah it can be a pain and I have to keep all my docs together including divorvce docs so as to show that my legal name is what it is. This has been the way since 9/11. Other states are supposed to be initiating this as well.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is NJ converting to "Real ID" [MD and DC already have, but PA and VA have not.]?  If so, that's why they're asking for more info.  If your DL is not real ID compliant, you will not be granted entry into federal buildings or allowed to fly.

Unfortunately my grandmother let her DL and passport lapse, which turned out to be a problem when we had banking business and they required a valid ID.  When we went to DMV to convert to a non-driver ID, it was like starting from scratch as if she's never had a license.  We had to get her naturalization papers from the lockbox and b/c she was naturalized in the 1950s (before computers were commonplace), they didn't have a registration # on them, so some DMV supervisor had to call the State Dept to validate them and override the system.  Like a legally blind non-mobile 85 year old lady is up to shananigans.  Fortunately was able to renew on line this time no problem but when this 5 yrs is up (assuming she's still around), she will have to go back in person for a new mug shot.

FYI, Glasses and smiles aren't allowed on DL or passport photos b/c it messes up facial recognition.

Valued Contributor

MD has changed its process to be "real ID" compliant. Although I'm unclear what they do to issue DLs for "undocumented" immigrants.  DC's license for undocumented peeps has a special symbol on it.

In 2008, I was able to mail in the eye doctor form and the check and they sent me a new license w/same picture from 2003.  However, in 2013, I had to go in person w/eye doctor form and get a new mug shot taken.  Fortunately, (1) MD has "DMV express" offices where all you can do is renew your DL and turn in old license plates; and (2) had extended the lenght of license from 5 years to 8 years.

Valued Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Guess we are lucky in Pennsylvania.  Our state has been dragging their feet for a dozen years on the Real ID/drivers' license issue and they still are.  Just read the following "PennDOT estimates REAL ID compliant driver licenses and identification cards will be available by March 2019." Guess if we want to fly or go into a federal building we'll need to have a passport.   Luckily I have one.

What if you work in a federal building?  How many ppl go to the IRS or Social Security office and don't realize they'll need a "Real ID"?