Valued Contributor

Re: 😠 Renewing Drivers License - N.J. 😠

In some states (like VA), your SSN is the same as your DL unles you opt out.

Valued Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@saltysails wrote:

I wonder what docs illegal aliens need to show in order to get DL's in states that allow it.

They don't have driver's licenses but then you knew that already!

Actually some states (DC and MD to name 2) do issue DLs to "undocumented" ppl -- the theory being they're driving around anyway.  At least now they have to pass the driver test and have insurance.

In MD, you have a choice of 5 languages to take your test in ... English, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, and Vietnamese.  As if the road signs are in all those languages!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac

I  know it is awful isn't it?  I am in Bergen Co and  we used to be able to renew by mail,I don't know why they  do this!!!  The lines are terrible!

I had to go back  to my home town for my marriage licence,geeeeezzzzz,I am surprised they still had it on file,it   has been 63 yrs and I  have been a widow over 20 yrs ....

NJ is really tough!      Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

@Evie2004 the points just means that different identifying documents are worth a different number of points...birth certificate = 4 pts; utility bill = 1 pt for example...and you need to provide 6 points worth of ID.  It's for a more supposedly secure digital license.  I actually thought all states had it by now.  

Yes, it's really not that big a deal.  And it's not new.  I have a relative in NJ and I help her with these kinds of things.  It's not complicated at all.  They send a list of what's needed, and it's really pretty simple.  Bringing the correct documents speeds up the process for everyone. 

And there are DMV's all over NJ that are not crowded all the time.  We avoid the first and last week of the month, and it's fine.  The last time we went, we were in and out in 20 minutes.  The time before that we didn't wait at all.  Some locations are notorious for long waits, so we avoid those. 

Also avoid Fridays and Mondays!

Valued Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

We don't have points in Illinois.

When you go to renew your license now, you get a temporary one.  If everything checks out, they mail your permanent license.  You need your old license and two other forms of ID. 

Your address has to be valid.  You have to show ID with your photo and your current address. 

MD has started mailing out DLs instead of handing it over the day you go to the DMV to renew.  I think b/c of fraud (fake addresses)?  I don't have to renew my license again until 2019, but I presume they would have to return your original license so you have it for the 7-10 business days it takes to receive via USPS.  And heaven forbid it gets lost in the mail, unless they mail it certified, which I sure they're not going to incur that expense.

Respected Contributor

@Lynnster67 wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

Guess we are lucky in Pennsylvania.  Our state has been dragging their feet for a dozen years on the Real ID/drivers' license issue and they still are.  Just read the following "PennDOT estimates REAL ID compliant driver licenses and identification cards will be available by March 2019." Guess if we want to fly or go into a federal building we'll need to have a passport.   Luckily I have one.

What if you work in a federal building?  How many ppl go to the IRS or Social Security office and don't realize they'll need a "Real ID"?

People who work in federal bldgs have photo ID's.

Valued Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Lynnster67 wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

Guess we are lucky in Pennsylvania.  Our state has been dragging their feet for a dozen years on the Real ID/drivers' license issue and they still are.  Just read the following "PennDOT estimates REAL ID compliant driver licenses and identification cards will be available by March 2019." Guess if we want to fly or go into a federal building we'll need to have a passport.   Luckily I have one.

What if you work in a federal building?  How many ppl go to the IRS or Social Security office and don't realize they'll need a "Real ID"?

People who work in federal bldgs have photo ID's.

I realize that (2 of my aunts are retired feds and here in downtown DC, buildings are secured (in fact, I've been to buildings where you have to make advance arrangements to visit). 

My question was:  what forms of ID do they need to provide to get their id?  Every employer I've had requires valid ID to complete the I-9 form and issue an employee badge.  I'm presuming that if you live in a non-Real ID compliant state, that won't be considered valid.

Trusted Contributor

@viva923 I"m in Delaware also and 4 years ago when I went to renew i thought I had everything in order.  No, they said.  We cannot accept your notarized marriage license as proof of your name change since it was signed by a priest.  I have to contact city hall in Philly for a copy and I believe the fee is around $100.00.  They did issue me a renewal but it clearly states on top something like "not a federal license".  Guess I better contact Philly and get my official marriage license since I'm due to renew in November.

Super Contributor

If I had to go to all that trouble, I'd never renew mine. I just did before the end of May, went in, showed my old license, they update info in computer, take your picture, spits out a new license, what's more it was free if you're over a certain age in Oklahoma. Took me all of 15 mins. At least Oklahoma does one thing right. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lynnster67 wrote:

Is NJ converting to "Real ID" [MD and DC already have, but PA and VA have not.]?  If so, that's why they're asking for more info.  If your DL is not real ID compliant, you will not be granted entry into federal buildings or allowed to fly.

Unfortunately my grandmother let her DL and passport lapse, which turned out to be a problem when we had banking business and they required a valid ID.  When we went to DMV to convert to a non-driver ID, it was like starting from scratch as if she's never had a license.  We had to get her naturalization papers from the lockbox and b/c she was naturalized in the 1950s (before computers were commonplace), they didn't have a registration # on them, so some DMV supervisor had to call the State Dept to validate them and override the system.  Like a legally blind non-mobile 85 year old lady is up to shananigans.  Fortunately was able to renew on line this time no problem but when this 5 yrs is up (assuming she's still around), she will have to go back in person for a new mug shot.

FYI, Glasses and smiles aren't allowed on DL or passport photos b/c it messes up facial recognition.

No, we've been doing it since at least 2006 - that was the first time I had to go in with the 6 points of ID to renew mine.