Respected Contributor

Re: Reminder for those with HBO

I think any group-think is something to be wary of. There are some movements and issues that are worthy and necessary for people to come together about.

Above all, be cautious before "believing" because there are so many areas of life where "convincing" is the goal with results intended for a different goal where you're just a number, a head to count, a wallet to be opened, all cloaked in warm and fuzzy or oft times, blind outrage.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't get HBO but would have loved to have seen this...I had no idea that they were considered a cult and so extreme...very scary!

It does appear to me that Nicole Kidman and Katie Holmes, along with Penelope Cruz...and I'm sure I'm missing a few others...lol...did manage to get away from him without any serious repercussions, except for what I read on this thread about Nicole not being able to see their adopted children...never heard this before!

Also, I would like to add that it isn't necessary to gang up on any one poster for giving their "personal viewpoint"...I didn't take personal offense to it...I just realized that this is their belief and they have a right to it, just as we do with our individual beliefs.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Ford1224 said:
On 3/29/2015 ds said:

Just finished watching. I knew it is a cult but never knew it is a very dangerous one especially if you want to leave the cult.

It was well done with many ex-scientology members being interviewed. They were top members of this cult.

They spoke about Tom Cruise and John Travolta and how they broke up Tom Cruise marriage to Nicole Kidman. They also turned their adopted kids against Nicole. This must be the reason they do not see their mother because the cult will not let them see her.

I remember an interview with Cruise once (before we knew about the Scientology thing) where he was asked what happened to the marriage. His response was "Nic knows what she did." I despise that man.

Boy, after seeing the show last night, that is a typical scientology answer. By the book.

Esteemed Contributor

It should be On Demand ... going to watch it right now.

Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 mcall1020 said:
On 3/30/2015 Ford1224 said:
On 3/29/2015 ds said:

Just finished watching. I knew it is a cult but never knew it is a very dangerous one especially if you want to leave the cult.

It was well done with many ex-scientology members being interviewed. They were top members of this cult.

They spoke about Tom Cruise and John Travolta and how they broke up Tom Cruise marriage to Nicole Kidman. They also turned their adopted kids against Nicole. This must be the reason they do not see their mother because the cult will not let them see her.

I remember an interview with Cruise once (before we knew about the Scientology thing) where he was asked what happened to the marriage. His response was "Nic knows what she did." I despise that man.

Boy, after seeing the show last night, that is a typical scientology answer. By the book.

Just finished my provolone sandwich. Now I'm going to find this ON DEMAND and watch it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Yammy25 said:

I would not fill the brain the good Lord gave me with that filth. Satan will appreciate you watching, however.

This post leaves me clueless. Not sure why the "Good Lord" would object to anyone watching an informative documentary that exposes the lies and abuses of a false religious cult!

I saw the program on HBO last night and found it excellent. I knew Scientology had its "scary" aspects, but did not realize how controlling and abusive it could become -- or what huge wealth and influence it has amassed. Or how totally psychotic its leaders and doctrines are. Thanks for the heads up; I wouldn't have known about the program if I hadn't seen posts about it here.

Honored Contributor

This will air multiple times on the various HBO channels. So, if somebody missed it and still wants to schedule, or watch, it just check your guide. It looks like I set it up to record tonight so I'm still looking forward to it. My Sundays are crazy busy with both Tivos!

Esteemed Contributor

I have to say, I was so looking forward to this but I really didn't think it would touch on a lot that I hadn't already read. Wow, was I wrong.

One thing I was really surprised about it that I didn't think it would feature former members who were so high up in Scientology. David Miscaviges right hand man was on there and he was really knowledgeable on the way David and the church itself handled things.

My husband and I watched the movie last night and I have to say, I couldn't sleep after that. I wish I had waited until today to watch it instead of right before bed. I found it really frightening.

Another thing I found scary was how the IRS almost seemed scared of this "church" and the lawsuits by members and acquiesced to them when their tax bill was already at $1 BILLION. They weren't even worth a quarter of that and it would have ruined them if the IRS had not granted them tax exempt status. Unbelievable.

I guess I was a little surprised to see the length that David went to to get Tom back in the church. He is really a master of planting paranoia and it seems he is very paranoid himself and getting more so the bigger the church gets. I had heard of abuse before but I was very surprised to hear how people were so high up experienced it and went into the "hole" then would come out for an interview to defend the church.

I have thought of this the whole day. This really bothered me. It bothers me to see how many broken families there are because of this cult. The way the children are treated NEEDS to be looked into and these people need to lose their tax exempt status ASAP.

I have thought for a long time that John Travolta has wanted to leave the church and that he couldn't because he was being blackmailed. I can understand that he probably thinks if this stuff came out his career would be over. I really wish that he would take a stand and put everything on the table that he has experienced and that his family has. His nephew left the church and recently come out talking about it. His is left with mental issues from it. He did say that John is still supporting him financially because he hasn't been able to work since he left. He didn't mention if they still talked or not. I really think if a major celebrity member talked about the abuses he has witnessed it would really help.

I looked up the celebrities that are currently Scientologists and I will go out of my way never to support them. I was bummed to find out that Elizabeth Moss was one (Mad Men). One thing I did not know about Tom Cruise is that he uses the cheap labor of SeaOrg members who make between 6 - 40 cents an hour to do manual labor at his estates. He is totally gross.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

O/T

Am I the only one that had HBO cut out half my channels. I use to have 11 and now just 5 on HBO. Could be my carrier cut back.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/30/2015 luvmyteddy said:

O/T

Am I the only one that had HBO cut out half my channels. I use to have 11 and now just 5 on HBO. Could be my carrier cut back.

Luvmyteddy, I am not sure. I have digital cable so my HBO channels are from 510 (which is iNDEMAND) to 521. I am sure the regular HBO channel will be showing it though, so just check your guide.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK