Honored Contributor

Re: Reminder for those with HBO

On 3/30/2015 dmod nj said:
On 3/30/2015 mstyrion 1 said:
On 3/30/2015 Free2be said:
On 3/30/2015 Yammy25 said:

I would not fill the brain the good Lord gave me with that filth. Satan will appreciate you watching, however.

Nice. Cults do that, make little threatening sounds about receiving outside knowledge. It's what helps keep the rank and file in line.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Free!

Standing ovation, Free!!

And an amen from this corner!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 chickenbutt said:

Actually, that poster said it without even knowing what s/he was saying - In cults, such as the one to which that poster belongs or Scientology, et al to infinity, they don't want people to learn about how they rope people in. They want to keep people ignorant and clueless because that makes them more vulnerable to their 'teachings'. Fear, such as what the poster said, is one of the biggest weapons used.

I think there will always be cults out there. A cult tells people what to believe, how to think, and what to say. It teaches them to use their 'religion' as a weapon of fear and insult against others because it WILL succeed in bringing in the most vulnerable and gullible. What scares THEM is that some are not gullible or vulnerable and will never become a follower. I also think they are afraid of the truth for a couple of reasons, one being that it will destroy all the garbage they are told to believe and they don't want that because they THINK that they are gaining strength from their beliefs. To find out differently is something for which they are just not prepared due to all the brainwashing.

Eloquent and accurate.

One of my sisters was lured into a "religious" cult when she was in her early 20s.

It's a difficult subject for me, but I wanted to say as perplexing and frustrating as it looks from the outside looking in... it's magnified a thousand fold when a loved one has been brainwashed and is in jeopardy. I wish everyone could see this film.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I would not fill the brain the good Lord gave me with that filth. Satan will appreciate you watching, however.

It does not protect you to NOT know about these things. The more knowledge one has, the better they can be at never condoning such organizations or blindly walking into something dangerous.

A documentary such as this will not lure people in . . . it will do the opposite . . . keep them far, far away.

I'm going to find it ON DEMAND and watch it this afternoon.

BTW, my youngest daughter told me her new boss told her he was a "follower and admirer of L. Ron Hubbard." I advised her to never be anything but professional with him (not that she ever would). She said very vehemently, "no way mom, that would never happen."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Did anyone see this article that goes hand-in-hand with this documentary?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3017714/Scientology-documentary-claims-reveal-shocking-secr...

Contributor

I can't imagine anyone telling a parent they can't speak to their child. Just one of the many disturbing aspects of this cult. I think the people who spoke out are so brave. My heart breaks for them for the lost years. Glad they are reclaiming their lives.

Respected Contributor

This book is a thorough history from L Ron Hubbard's early life to current:

I finished reading it then started this one which is a little repetitive but adds the writer's personal experiences:

Trusted Contributor

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Contributor

On 3/30/2015 adelle38 said:

Love this!

Honored Contributor

Ha! Adelle - good one.

Honored Contributor

Disturbingly fascinating.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G