Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Texasmouse    Hang in there.  I know it's hard when the end is in sight. 

I got a calander and marked off the days.  If I could have done cartwheels going to my car when I left that last day I would have.

After a few days I realized my shoulders weren't hunched and tight and I was actually breathing instead of noticing I was holding my breath.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 that'll definitely be me! 😄

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reminded Why I Retired.

[ Edited ]

Yea, remember alot of  days that  ended up into long evening hrs . Working on my days off  .Driving in bad weather  and a pile of work when I returned from vacations .

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA   I always worked in small offices.  The most was the attorney/owner and 2 associates.  No more than 3 or 4 secretaries.

The only night shift was when I stayed late. lol

Respected Contributor

Meh. I worked a lot of 80-90 hour weeks that often resulted in me driving 120 miles home from DTW because the last flight of the day canceled. Just part of the job. Nothing to get excited about. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44  I never, ever took more than 2 days off for vacation. I would take a Thurs. and Fri.to get a long weekend. 

Taking a full week off meant going back was horrific.  I would have a stack of messages and everyone pulling me in 10 directions.  I wasn't worth the aggrevation.

I cancelled days off and went in weekends so folks could get their closings done.

I remember one couple didn't want to take any time of work for a closing and wanted to go to my boss's house in the evening for a closing. That was a big,fat no.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

I'm so envious of those of you who are retired. I've got another year and a half to go and I CAN'T WAIT. The days seem to be going SO slowly now...

@Texasmouse , Hang in there, you will love it.  Sadly ,  now I find the time goes too fast  .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1    90 hours per week nothing to get excited about?? If this was over 5 days my math says this is 18 hour days with just 6 hours a day left. And then you often drove 120 miles home?  When did you sleep, eat and do everything else that living requires?  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA   Yes, I worked in a large Wall Street law firm.  They had an evening shift.  If I wanted to volunteer for overtime I could do so and get a taxi home.  Could and did make a substantial amount of money that way--LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

We owned a business that required critical decisions, supervising staff of 10, long days, government regulations and uncertainties that go with being self employed.

After retirement, the decompression was short lived. I think I actually got energy from all that goes with a fast paced life.

Honored Contributor

I used to kind of enjoy working late into the night. Maybe because it didn't happen that often.

Ordering in from the takeout menus with the team. Driving a giant box of documents to the airport because the post office was long closed. Having to wave my arms around because after a certain point the lights started to turn themselves off in the building via motion sensors. I usually got to take a half day off the next day, or later in the week, since I wasn't hourly and didn't get any overtime. My coworkers and I bonded during those times because we could relax a bit more and be more ourselves. It was like no one was watching.

I'm sure this is just rose colored hindsight!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr