Frequent Contributor

Remembering the Victims of the Holocaust and of the Armenian Genocide

Not only was there a Genocide/Holocaust of the Jewish people, but also of the Armenian people in 1915 by the Turks. My Father was a survivor of the Armenian Genocide, which has finally been recognized by the government, despite the Turks continuing to deny it. Knowing the horrific details from my Father, I weep for both nationalities as the brutalities were so parallel. I am thinking of the Holocaust victims and their families today and hope you will think of the victims and families of the Armenian Genocide on their April 24 anniversary. Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Remembering the Victims of the Holocaust and of the Armenian Genocide

i am armenian....i thank you for your kind thoughts....

Respected Contributor

When Hitler was asked if the world would stand by while he killed the Jews, he said,"Look what happened to the Armenians."

I am Jewish but live in a city with many Armenians. They have had public awareness services in the past.

Respected Contributor

Please, please, please.  Never divert attention from the Holocaust by linking it to any other incident.  You sully the memories of the 6 million Jews who were exterminated solely because they were Jewish. 

I am a Jew.  When I say "Never Again", I refer to whatever worldwide Judaism must do to protect itself from the rising anti-Semitism that appears to be becoming "mainstream".

Frequent Contributor

Thank you to all that responded - I can't think of a better time for all of us to recognize and embrace each other, no matter what...

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Please, please, please.  Never divert attention from the Holocaust by linking it to any other incident.  You sully the memories of the 6 million Jews who were exterminated solely because they were Jewish. 

I am a Jew.  When I say "Never Again", I refer to whatever worldwide Judaism must do to protect itself from the rising anti-Semitism that appears to be becoming "mainstream".

As one who was born a Jew and grew up in a 99 percent Jewish neighborhood, I could not disagree more. We are perfectly able to multitask. It is the humane and caring way. @Cats3000 

In fact, if the Holocaust doesn't inspire us to understand that this could happen to any group is both demonized and considered subhuman, we have no future.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

"any other incident..."  does that include the armenian genocide?  hope not....

Esteemed Contributor

@msvictoria 

I worked in DC and my daily run took me past the corner where the Holocaust Museum was built.  

When it was finished, I thought I might have the courage to enter, but I never did.  Maybe some day.

The sadness and horror of these events are overwhelming.  I'll never understand such madness and cruelty.

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 

As a Jewish person - I have said for years...

The ONLY INTOLERANCE that is TOLERATED is Anti-Semitism.

I never sit QUIET when a sh*tty remark is made to slur any one of any ethnicity or creed ESPECIALLY when referring to what I am.

Respected Contributor

One day at work, I overheard someone say, "I'll Jew him down."

I was out of my chair and in her face in a second--"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?"

She was mortified and apologized, and left me a nice card of apology the next day. I live in the Pacific Northwest and it's a hotbed of anti-semitism. Some of it was "just" unthinking, as I think this girl's was, and you have to stamp it out whenever you encounter it or it can flare up again, just as it did in Hitler's Germany.