Honored Contributor

Re: 🇺🇸Remembering D-Day June 6, 1944🇺🇸

@Frosted Cake wrote:

Sad thing is I've heard nothing about D-Day today on the cable news stations.   It's all politics 24/7.

@Frosted Cake

I have and on several different shows, and on a cable news network. You must not be watching the same network that I am watching.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

d day

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few years ago my husband and I had the privilege of visiting the beaches of Normandy, where all of this took place. It is peaceful and beautiful there now, but the German bunkers and bomb craters still exist. It was a humbling experience, and anyone who has the chance to visit should. The troops who participated in this were incredibly brave. All who served in WWII are truly  the greatest generation. D Day was the beginning of the end of WWII.

Regular Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Yes, the sacrifices of many who endured the horror of war should never be forgotten.  My DH and I make it a point to watch shows on the History Channel, which really drives the point home.  Not pleasant to watch, but it gives you a very real glimpse of what our soldiers endured for our freedom.  They were "The Greatest Generation."

A few years ago I became acquainted with a very special man through my volunteer work.  I did get to know him a bit, but he was very quiet and a man of few words.  One day, by chance, I sat with him and his daughter.  She told me he was a veteran of WWII, and I of course thanked him for his service to America.  His daughter then mentioned he was part of the DDay invasion.  I looked at him and told him I could not begin to imagine what he had gone through.  All this gentle man said was, "There were a lot of bodies in the water."  Few words, but I have never forgotten them and never will.

Heartbreaking @PamfromCT.  You write beautifully.........  thanks for sharing this.

Thanks for the thread @newziesuzie.

Very thoughtful.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

True, they fought bravely.

Sad thing is, ask any 20 or 30 something what happened on this date, and most likely, you'll get a blank stare back.

those events happened 70+ years ago,  no reason to cast blame or think less of a 20 year old kid because of their age

I'm not casting blame or think less of a 20 year old because of their age.

But, if you don't believe what I say is true, then just ask any20 - 30 year old what happened on this date in 1944, and see what you get in response.

You may be in for a heartbreaking shock.

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

True, they fought bravely.

Sad thing is, ask any 20 or 30 something what happened on this date, and most likely, you'll get a blank stare back.

those events happened 70+ years ago,  no reason to cast blame or think less of a 20 year old kid because of their age

I'm not casting blame or think less of a 20 year old because of their age.

But, if you don't believe what I say is true, then just ask any20 - 30 year old what happened on this date in 1944, and see what you get in response.

You may be in for a heartbreaking shock.

````````````````````````````````````````````````

or, you could be in for a great shock in the # of those who know the significance.

It's really gotten old to hear how awful my generation is.

Regular Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

Please don't take offense but could

we please not fight on this thread?

I was hoping to honor the D-Day heroes.

Thanks for all the posts everybody.

❤️🇺🇸❤️

Worth repeating imho.

We honor their memory.

Respected Contributor

There is no expression of gratitude that could adequately express my appreciation and admiration for these men and families that supported them in their heroic effort to free Europe and save democracy. Eight members of my family proudly served their country in this terrible conflict.

Honored Contributor

@WSfanI saw this too back in the 70's - it is very awesome. 

Oh and to those who say 20 somethings don't care - I was about 25 when I went there.

Respected Contributor

Why would some of you drag 9/11 into this ? There is no comparison between what happened that day and D-Day. I guess the excuse of not living in this area can be used since you don't see the aftermath everyday. No comparison. But then again some of you think 9/11 rememberance should be done with. We need to move on but remember D-Day. smh.

Esteemed Contributor

I was eight years old.  I cry today to see the mess our country is in and all the lives lost in every war to protect this country.  My dad was in WW11, gone four years, and came home .  Thank God my son's to young for Vietnam.  GrAndson was in Afganistan.  Seen many wars.