So incredibly brave.

D Day.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: 🇺🇸Remembering D-Day June 6, 1944🇺🇸

DDay June 6, 1944-5.jpg

Respected Contributor

@newziesuzie

Thanks for the reminder.  I've had my fill of petty squabbles for the day.

Esteemed Contributor

AS LONG AS I LIVE, I will always tell and remind people of D-Day. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

D-day

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

My Dad was at d day but he was in the final wave. He was supposed to drive a truck of food and cooking supplies off one of those landing boats but they stayed out too far and when he drove off the water was so deep he immediately sank to the bottom of the ocean. He barely found his way to the surface and was near death , floating among the many bodies when someone dragged him out of the water, and they took him back to England. He recovered but had weak lungs and they kept him in England as a cook until close to the end of the war. Despite that he still managed to get blown up by a handgrenade. He felt he was just not supposed to come home from that war, and it was a miracle he did.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChrystaltreeChrystaltree wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

True, they fought bravely.

Sad thing is, ask any 20 or 30 something what happened on this date, and most likely, you'll get a blank stare back.

Actually, I think if you ask anyone under 50 what happened on June 6th6th, you'll get a blank look.  I'm 56 and informed about history and it didn't register to me when I saw the date.  For those of us who are under 70, it's history.  As distant to us as the Civil War or the War of 1812.  It's not a bad thing, it's just that time marches on and every generation has it's own momentous events.  25 or 30 years from now, when you say September 11th11th to a 30 year old, nothing will come to mind.  They will have read about it in school but September 11th11th will just be the day before September 12th12th to them.

@chrystaltree

While partially agree with some of what you said, to seemingly to me, compare September 11th to D-Day?  While September 11th was certainly, to me anyway, an act of war. If is nowhere near the devastation that occurred on those many beaches on D-Day.

I have no issue with some asked: what does today stand for, and not knowing. I do have a problem with anyone 16-20 years old that's does not know what happened on this date many years ago. Maybe they no longer teach American History in high schools and colleges, I have no idea. If not, I still do not understand why anyone, of any upper teen age, would not be interested in our Country's American History.

I am a guy that flunked World History 1, four times. To me before BC, had no meaning to me, thus no interest. I quit high school during my junior year, thus did not have American History, which would have gotten an A or a 1, because in that I had a real yearning to learn more. I did learn a lot of it by getting my GED while at the same time learning it by serving in the US Army, during that same period of time.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Sad thing is I've heard nothing about D-Day today on the cable news stations.   It's all politics 24/7.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My Dad was at d day but he was in the final wave. He was supposed to drive a truck of food and cooking supplies off one of those landing boats but they stayed out too far and when he drove off the water was so deep he immediately sank to the bottom of the ocean. He barely found his way to the surface and was near death , floating among the many bodies when someone dragged him out of the water, and they took him back to England. He recovered but had weak lungs and they kept him in England as a cook until close to the end of the war. Despite that he still managed to get blown up by a handgrenade. He felt he was just not supposed to come home from that war, and it was a miracle he did.

@151949

A very touching story and thank you for sharing it with us. Thank you to your father and his whole family. I can't imagine what or how they felt with all this happening to your father. A brave man and you should be very proud of him.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)