Respected Contributor

Re: Remember the scary Lucy statue?

Much better but the first one probably wasn't all the sculptor's fault.  There must have been drawings and a small scale version that someone approved.   That first one does look like a frozen corpse.....lol

Honored Contributor

The dress on the second statue is more like the ones Lucy wore.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I could feel sorry for him if he had never seen a picture of Lucille Ball.  But c'mon, the woman was beautiful.  Did he not compare the sculpture to photos as he was going along or did they flash her picture at him once and he completed the work from memory.

Yes, ITA, it was a waste of time and money.

Honored Contributor

Cakers wrote:

ITA.  The collar up, the flowing skirt, then there's the hair that actually looks like hers - well, everything about it is just a total 180 from the first one.    

I am not trying to denigrate the artist here, for the first one, but if he ever even saw what Lucy looked like, or had a picture to go by - I just never got how he ended up with that rendition.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

ITA.  The collar up, the flowing skirt, then there's the hair that actually looks like hers - well, everything about it is just a total 180 from the first one.    

I am not trying to denigrate the artist here, for the first one, but if he ever even saw what Lucy looked like, or had a picture to go by - I just never got how he ended up with that rendition.

@chickenbutt  I know she had the Vitaminvitamin (or whatever it was called lol) with the first statue but to me she looked like Nurse Ratchett without the nurse cap ready to dole out meds.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I can't beleive the first one was ever approved and allowed to be set out...nothing like Lucy...nothing at all...the second one is beautiful...thanks for posting this.....

Honored Contributor

I love the latest one.  Beautiful statue, all bronze it seems.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Cakers wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Cakers wrote:

@chickenbutt  I know she had the Vitaminvitamin (or whatever it was called lol) with the first statue but to me she looked like Nurse Ratchett without the nurse cap ready to dole out meds.

It probably would have been cute to do something with the 'Vitameatavegamin' (or however that was spelled) thing, but it really needed to look like her!   ha!  

Nurse Ratchett! ha!  Love that.    That's about how scary it was.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think the original sculptor, Dave Poulin, while very talented and with many works in private and public collections, had no experience creating a likeness of an actual person.  Judging by the portfolio on his website, his works depict everyday, generic people.

Respected Contributor

First Statue:

Second Statue: