Honored Contributor

Re: Remember the "OLD DAYS" When You Could Walk Alone At Night?

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Funny thing..I grew up in NYC before moving to NJ. and it's a whole lot safer than when I was younger.  I feel safe walking there day and night. I'm always wary about my surroundings.

I live in pretty much a rural area now and all i have to be worried about at night are animals and idiot drivers.

ITA with you. I feel totally safe walking with just another woman in NYC...taking the subway too.

I live in a mid-size city and walk my dog at 5:30AM every day. I'm always aware of my surroundings and don't use electronic devices while I walk.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@justmyopinion wrote:

Depends on where you live. It was never "safe" walking around NY's Time Square or Central Park at night. Crime in big cities is nothing new. Muggings, rapes, robberies, car-jacks, kidnappings have been around for decades. Smiley Sad

Time's Square is probably now one of the SAFEST places in NYC - even late at night.

At least that has been my experience as a tourist. The city is far safer and cleaner than in past decades.

Honored Contributor

My saying it is not right to just lock them up,is in years past, that is what they did,they took people to mental hospitals , and treated them terribly, some people were not even mental ill,they had disease that made them act differently that the average person, i am not saying that there aren't those that need help, of course there is,i just don't think going back to the way it was is the answer.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@justmyopinion wrote:

Depends on where you live. It was never "safe" walking around NY's Time Square or Central Park at night. Crime in big cities is nothing new. Muggings, rapes, robberies, car-jacks, kidnappings have been around for decades. Smiley Sad

Times Square is probably one of the safest places to be these days. A big difference from my early days. Violent crime is way down in NYC but with a 24/7 news cycle they need to fill up the hours.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@justmyopinion wrote:

Times Square is probably one of the safest places to be these days. A big difference from my early days. Violent crime is way down in NYC but with a 24/7 news cycle they need to fill up the hours.

Correct. To my point --it wasn't any safer years ago as the OP claims.

Respected Contributor

@justmyopinion wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@justmyopinion wrote:

Correct. To my point --it wasn't any safer years ago as the OP claims.

ITA!!!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Vickiv wrote:

I'm in my 70s and I remember when I was about 10 years old I  lived in a small Pennsylvania town. In the summertime my girlfriends and I would play all over the town. We would be at the local pool swimming and going to the local park to have fun on the swings. All the people in town knew each other . My mother always had lunch for us and all kinds of goodies, she was really great. At night my friends and I would get together in the back yard  and we would play hide and seek and catch fireflies. When it was time to go to bed I was exhausted but a good feeling that tomorrow would be another fun day ahead.  Now a days you could never let your children run the town or occupy themselves at night playing hiding seek catching fireflies. There might be someone around the corner lurking you never know who they are. Probably in today's time my mother would to get it turned in for child negligence because she let us just be free and have a good time for the day. It is so sad how times have changed you don't hear the laughter of children playing anymore you have to be afraid to walk down the street at night you have to worry if you sit out front  of your house you might get shot at.  This is a sad world

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My mother had several aunts that lived very long lives that were born in the early 1900s.  I specially remember one of Mom's aunts telling her when I was around 10 years old that she felt so sorry for these times.  She felt that children that played were not learning the "value" of "hard" work by having chores to do instead of useless playing senseless games.  She also thought it was terrible for kids of the day to be watching TV.  Of course, they didn't have TVs when she was a kid, so she thought kids watching TV was atrocious.  I specifically remember she thought the Roadrunner cartoon was "deplorable". She had no idea how her own grandchildren were going to learn responsibility and worried for their futures.  Mom used to just shake her head and then take me and we would go along our merry way.

The point?  Every generation has a tendency to glamorize what we grew up with and what we think our experience was.  Doesn't mean it actually was at the time.  Sometimes things just aren't what they seem.  And every generation thinks the newer generations are suffering because things aren't what they used to be. 

Most of us today have productive lives, a roof over our head, food on the table, and clothes on our back.  The majority are responsible citizens, despite what social media might have some believe.  We live in a free country with many priviledges.   And many kids today are living happy chlldhoods and establishing new normals for the times.  And as things usually go......when they get older, they will get with friends of their same age and start talking about "remember when we were kids, we used to....................".

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

Well said @pitdakota!
Respected Contributor

Hello to you @Lila Belle!   Yes, I  had a very happy childhood.  Spent all kinds of time in the ocean.......I shudder to think today about how many sharks were swimming with me.  LOL!! 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Pitdakota...you said it so well.  Most of us have had very happy childhoods.

I worried that things had changed for my kids, but at my son's wedding, the officiate talked about her conversations with my son and his wife to be.  Both of them said that they wanted to get married, because they wanted to have children and have the family life they enjoyed, when they were kids.

So...even though I wasn't sure I'd done everything my parents had done for me....as times changed, it seemed I had done "okay"...and that my son recognized that.