Honored Contributor

Remember the Japanese Whaling Ban?

Japan intends to continue Antarctic whale hunt: Sea Shepherd Comments (4) » 13th Apr 2014 11:00 AM STORY TOOLS

Anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd says Japan has filed court briefs in the United States indicating it intends to return to hunting whales in Antarctic waters next year.

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruled last month that Japan's whaling program was not conducted for scientific research purposes, in a case brought by Australia.

In documents filed with the US District Court in Seattle on Friday, Japan's Institute of Cetacean Research says it will return to the Southern Ocean in 2015-16 with a newly designed research program.

Sea Shepherd says Japan will also seek a permanent injunction against Sea Shepherd USA and other Sea Shepherd entities, adding that it is a blatant attempt to defy the international court ruling.

Ja#pan's whalers won an injunction against Sea Shepherd USA in 2012.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Remember the Japanese Whaling Ban?

What? I thought it was all settled!

Frequent Contributor

Cannot believe this is happening. Makes me very angry. If the court found that research is not the purpose, how can they possibly be stupid enough to allow this to continue? I am old enough to remember when the court system was fair and REASONABLE (yelling).

Honored Contributor

Apparently the Japanese have indicated they'll ignore the court order. I think there has been an international ban against whaling for some time, which they also ignored, hence the Sea Shepherds. There must be a huge payback for whale blubber. Wonder what they do with it? There should be some repercussion for their disregard of the law, but what?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment