Honored Contributor

Re: Remember When Holidays Were Celebrated On The Actual Day And Not Mondays?

@ID2 wrote:

Ummm I celebrate Christmas on Dec 25, Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving day, Independence Day is July 4th, etc. I don't know what you're getting at here but I celebrate holidays on their designated date. 

@ID2   Not all holidays were changed to the Monday celebration date. 

Respected Contributor

@ID2 Ummmmm...they're referring to "holidays" like Veterans' Day, Memorial Day and some others that are now celebrated on Monday closest to the actual date, at least in the case of businesses closing so everyone can have a long weekend. That's been the case for many years now.

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@ID2 Ummmmm...they're referring to "holidays" like Veterans' Day, Memorial Day and some others that are now celebrated on Monday closest to the actual date, at least in the case of businesses closing so everyone can have a long weekend. That's been the case for many years now.

@vermint  Veterans Day is still on the 11th as both I and other posters pointed out above.  ML King day is a later holiday (enacted quite a while after many others)  that is  another one of the "on-Monday" holidays.  

Respected Contributor

The Uniform Monday Holiday Act moved the official commemorations of several holidays to specific Mondays, including Veteran's Day. But there was such a backlash about Veteran's Day that it was eventually moved back, having been designated as the 11th day of the 11th month for a specific reason.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee You're right, I was mistaken abut that one!

@Pearlee wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@vermint  Veterans Day is still on the 11th as both I and other posters pointed out above.  ML King day is a later holiday (enacted quite a while after many others)  that is  another one of the "on-Monday" holidays.  

Respected Contributor

So, with all these long weekends so people can get an extra day off, what about retail employees, restaurant employees, etc?  They don't get that day off, in fact in this area the ONLY day just about everything is closed is Christmas Day.   I imagine that will come to an end and the day after Christmas sales will begin on Christmas Day. 

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic 

I also remember when Holidays were celebrated.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras