Respected Contributor

Re: Remember When Holidays Were Celebrated On The Actual Day And Not Mondays?

CLHS68's response was great!

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Many places still have blue laws...I think some call it by a different name now. I also know that stores promote holidays much earlier than they did when I was younger. People in our neighborhood have had 4th of July stuff out since Memorial Day. I think it takes some of the “special-ness” out of the holiday when you decorate too early...when the day finally arrives, you are already tired of seeing the decor, etc. hobby Lobby has had their autumn decor and 4th of July things out for weeks.
Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

Yes & I remember when Christmas was in December not June or July.

Shoekitty said:  you got that one right!!

Respected Contributor

I surely do. My favorite was Memorial Day and all us kids would pile into the firetruck and we'd have a ride around town with the lights flashing and sirens blaring. That would be late 50's/early 60's.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Many places still have blue laws...I think some call it by a different name now. I also know that stores promote holidays much earlier than they did when I was younger. People in our neighborhood have had 4th of July stuff out since Memorial Day. I think it takes some of the “special-ness” out of the holiday when you decorate too early...when the day finally arrives, you are already tired of seeing the decor, etc. hobby Lobby has had their autumn decor and 4th of July things out for weeks.

only select places (restaurants that sell packaged goods) can sell alcohol on a sunday in our area. all liquor stores are closed  on sundays except for the sunday before christmas and the sunday before new years eve.

last call is at 1:30am.

that is pretty much what is left of our blue laws in maryland.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I just remember everything being closed on Sundays.

Respected Contributor

What is crazy now is trying to figure out what day will the fireworks be and what day do the trick or treaters go out.It wasn"t a question before,it was on the 4th of July for fireworks and October 31st for trick or treating.

Respected Contributor

Yes!  I definitely remember when Memorial Day was celebrated on May 30th, Veteran's Day was Nov. 11 and on every holiday, most work places closed!  The grocery stores, department stores and drug stores all closed for the day and we actually survived!  I think one drug store stayed open for a couple hours on a rotating schedule, only one stayed open then on the next holiday another had its turn.  Of course that doesn't happen anymore.  It's amazing that we were able to survive not having all the stores open for a day!  I don't understand why all that changed.   

Honored Contributor

@hellie jo wrote:

What is crazy now is trying to figure out what day will the fireworks be and what day do the trick or treaters go out.It wasn"t a question before,it was on the 4th of July for fireworks and October 31st for trick or treating.

hmmmmmm we have not had those issues in our area.

fireworks always on the 4th unless it rains......then it is held a day later.

trick or treating on the 31st......rain or shine.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein