Honored Contributor

Remember When Holidays Were Celebrated On The Actual Day And Not Mondays?

I certainly do. And I didn't realize, until I read this in the newspaper today, that the uniform Monday holidays law was passed so long ago, in 1968 and went into effect three years later.  To my memory, the start of Monday celebrations occurred more recently than 1971, so time sure does fly.  Some of you are too young to remember this.

On this day  - June 28th - in history, "In 1968, President Lyndon Johnson signed the Uniform Monday Holiday Bill, which moved commemorations for Washington’s Birthday, Memorial Day and Veterans Day to Monday, creating three-day holiday weekends beginning in 1971."

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Remember When Holidays Were Celebrated On The Actual Day And Not Mondays?

I definitely remember the actual dates when we commemorated holidays. I think that the anniversary of the end of WW1 is now honored on the actual date of Armistice, Nov. 11. In France, the date of WW2 victory in Europe is celebrated on May 8. Often, the whole week becomes a holiday. I understand the Monday holiday idea but there is something a bit off by doing that. Of course, July 4 would never be a Monday holiday. That says a great deal.

Respected Contributor

Yes & I remember when Christmas was in December not June or July.

Honored Contributor

I was born in 1962 so I don't actually remember when those holidays were celebrated on specific dates.  

Honored Contributor

If I wanted to buy my Christmas decorations from a shopping channel or online, December would be too late. By the time I got them I would already have decorated and would have to save them for next year. That’s why I appreciate early selling, but I realize not everyone does. Oh well.

Respected Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

Yes & I remember when Christmas was in December not June or July.

Nice one, @CLHS68 .  Man Wink

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

I remember that and also blue laws when business were closed on Sunday. Can you imagine not being able to shop on Sunday now? 

Honored Contributor

@PearleeAnd it was a big deal when that happened.  All those 3-day weekends allowing "vacations" for many who'd seldom or never had one.  I remember that.

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

I remember that and also blue laws when business were closed on Sunday. Can you imagine not being able to shop on Sunday now? 

@godi.  Uh, we have blue laws in Bergen County NJ.

Honored Contributor

no, i do not remember certain holidays that were celebrated on the actual day instead of moving it to a monday.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein