Esteemed Contributor

Re: Remember That Story About the Priest That Was Murdered.....

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

That priest certainly wasn't killed "humanely," was he.

You should get what you give. That would stop a lot of this sick, evil stuff.

It never has before in the long, violent history of mankind.

It's time we re-think the whole concept of meeting violent death with violent death. It's never worked as a deterrent and never will. We are one of the few if not only "civilized" nations who still employ the death sentence and our rate of violence is one of the highest in the world.  

I know it makes people feel better or maybe powerful to say people should be "put down" but the reality is that the death penalty does absolutely nothing to deter violent crime.

IMO a life in prison woth complete and total loss of freedom is a far worse punishment.

BTW it doesn't make me feel better or more powerful to say murderers should be put down.

I just believe if you are savage and brutal enough to torture and murder some poor innocent soul, then you need a dose of your own medicine. It has nothing to do with any feeling.

Whether it would be a deterrant is beside the point. Even if it wasn't a deterrant, I would still believe that if you destroy and torture another person to death, you should die the same way. JMO

Trusted Contributor

Re: Remember That Story About the Priest That Was Murdered.....

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

That priest certainly wasn't killed "humanely," was he.

You should get what you give. That would stop a lot of this sick, evil stuff.

It never has before in the long, violent history of mankind.

It's time we re-think the whole concept of meeting violent death with violent death. It's never worked as a deterrent and never will. We are one of the few if not only "civilized" nations who still employ the death sentence and our rate of violence is one of the highest in the world.  

I know it makes people feel better or maybe powerful to say people should be "put down" but the reality is that the death penalty does absolutely nothing to deter violent crime.

IMO a life in prison woth complete and total loss of freedom is a far worse punishment.

Have you ever been a victim of a violent crime?  Have one of your loved ones?  Until you can answer yes to either of those questions, I would say, to walk in those shoes and develop the mind set that it is OK to feed and house the offender while families of the victims suffer year after year.  How about this....The mind numbing fear that at each parole hearing this same offender is released, or, better yet, a do gooder legal team finds a loophole whereby a t is not properly crossed and a new trail is ordered.  No, if the offender is put to death, none of these things would happen and society at large can rest easy that he or she will not be freed to maim again.