Super Contributor

Re: Remember Christmas Corsages?

@cookie16 wrote:

Maybe it was a regional thing but I remember having birthday corsages for each year, between 11 ( dog biscuits) and 16 (sugar cubes.)  We would order them from the florist, mine being November would have a large chrysantemum in the center with a bow and whatever symbol was your year.  We would then make small ribbons with whatever was your symbol (dog biscuit, bubblegum, sugar cubes for your best friends to wear also.  I grew up in Brooklyn, NY.  Any other areas remember this.

@cookie16 I grew up (and still live) in Brooklyn, NY, so maybe the birthday corsages were a regional thing.

Super Contributor

BklynKinsey, I now live in NJ but once a Brookkynite, always a Brooklynite.  Great memories of a much simpler time.

Super Contributor

@cookie16 wrote:

BklynKinsey, I now live in NJ but once a Brookkynite, always a Brooklynite.  Great memories of a much simpler time.

@cookie16  That's for sure, Cookie -- great memories!

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51  We didn't wear white cotton gloves in the winter time. We wore knitted or leather with fur or cashmere lining in the winter - the white cotton ones were for the summer. 

Does anyone else recall when little girls would get leggings to wear when it was cold out. They were wool and matched our winter coat, they came with little girls coats.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

The older church ladies (including my Grams) always wore one. Wonder what the history is on those corsages.

@SahmIam

What exactly do  "church ladies" do?

We pray a lot for others who don't know what it is to be a church lady.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I remember them more for Easter and Mother's Day.  

My mom would never wear one.  She said they were for "old ladies"  LOL

@Bri36  I agree with your mom!!!!

Honored Contributor

I so loved wearing mine every year on Mother's Day.  As a young girl this was my first time to receive flowers and it just does something to your heart when someone gives you a flower.  Even if it is from your own parents.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@BklynKinsey My Dad used to buy my Mom a corsage to wear to work on her birthday but they were pretty flowers and greenery like a lady may wear for an evening out - no candy or dog biscuits. She would wear it to work all dayb then they would go out for dinner & dancing.My parents LOVED to go dancing.

Respected Contributor

151949,  My Mom always got a corsage for Mothers Day and Easter and for the Christmas holidays she always had a beautiful decorated pin on her coat and fancy holiday earrings. I always made sure that she had beautiful corsages for those holidays. the last one I ordered for her I told my friend who owned the florist shop to really make her a special one and she did. It was delivered  to my Mom on Saturday and since my Dad passed away four years before I always came and picked her up on Sunday morning and we went to church together. Well that Sunday my Mom comes to the car and say's to me "could you please help me put this flower bush or small tree on me"?  We laughed so much and had the best time getting her big beautiful  corsage pinned on her shoulder we did and off to church we went. Everyone who knew her told her how beautiful it was and every time I would look at her all I saw was her corsage. But it was a special designed one and it was the last one I got  to give to her she went in for a knee replacement operation and passed away five months later.

Respected Contributor

My sister and I had a new one (from the 5 & 10) every year. I always looked forward to picking mine out. We wore them on our dress coats.