Honored Contributor

Re: Remember Candy Cigarettes?

@Kitlynnwrote:

I do remember those and always got the Pall Mall ones because that is what my Dad smoked. Also loved the bubble gum cigars that came in pink, green and yellow. Also the red peanut patties. I loved those!!

@Kitlynn

My dad smoked Pall Malls too!  I remember those deep red packs.  They were inder 25 cents a pack too.  He smoked since he was a kid, and quit about 1959 at almost 40... And hated the smell of smoke after the day he quit!!

Respected Contributor

Loved them. Used to pretend they were real. 

Honored Contributor

I do remember them. Growing up i would play smoking with my friends. My dad was smoking back then, so my mom didn’t care I played that. 

They were a sickly sweet candy

Respected Contributor

@patbzwrote:

DH and I were remembering fun treats from 50s and 60s; anybody remember candy cigarettes?  Talk about brain washing!

becca lou wrote : Yes I do, and also the bubble gum cigars. Those are still around. Men hand them out for a birth of a child.Not a big fan of that Idea. Colored jelly beans would be better, in all pink, or all blue. Heart

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99wrote:

I had the cavities to prove it. I would never have let my son eat that stuff and my mother didn't give it a second thought. In fact, my grandmother sold that junk in her grocery store. I loved the way the penny candy was displayed in the candy case.

Becca Lou Wrote : What we didn't know back then was alot !!Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgrammawrote:

Yep....I remember those.....I liked the bubble gum cigar the best..

===================

I puffed on those ciggies and those pastel gum cigars. Never took up smoking either.

Respected Contributor

I loved candy cigarettes. My mom and grandparents were smokers when I was a kid, and when they puffed on their real ones, I pretended to smoke my fake ones. My favorites though were bubble gum cigars. There used to be an old-time drugstore called City Pharmacy in town where we got all our prescriptions, and they sold those, along with candy cigarettes. Everytime we went to the pharmacy my grandparents or my mom would let me buy cigars. They came in orange, yellow, pink, purple, and aqua. It's amazing the stuff us kids got away with in the 80s. I never did start smoking for real though. I hated the smell of nicotine and smoke. 

Honored Contributor

Not only do I remember candy cigarettes, but I remember when my grandmother was over our house for one of her Sunday visits and I had one in my mouth, and she yelled at my mother (her daugther) for letting me smoke!  I was about 8 yrs. old.   I laugh at that memory to this day (I'm in my mid-60s and my grandmother is, of course, long gone). 

Honored Contributor

Yes and Mom bought all three of us kids many boxes back in the mid to late 60's,  I loved to pretend smoking while she was smoking and especially when we were out and about in her brand new 1968 Ford Mustang.  We were cool.  Now I would be absolutely horrified if I saw the same.  Mom felt that way about it herself about a decade later as times changed.  Looked back on many things she thought were fine and realized it was not.  Such as no seat belts and letting the youngest child always stand in the middle next to the driver.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012wrote:

Yes and Mom bought all three of us kids many boxes back in the mid to late 60's,  I loved to pretend smoking while she was smoking and especially when we were out and about in her brand new 1968 Ford Mustang.  We were cool.  Now I would be absolutely horrified if I saw the same.  Mom felt that way about it herself about a decade later as times changed.  Looked back on many things she thought were fine and realized it was not.  Such as no seat belts and letting the youngest child always stand in the middle next to the driver.

@beckyb1012Indeed.  I remember clearly when the warning labels were required to be put on cigarette packages.  Therefore, I remember when they weren't considered a danger.