Respected Contributor

Re: Remember Candy Cigarettes?

I sure do remember them. Every time I am reminded of the penny candy it just takes me back in time.  Love it. 

Honored Contributor

I bought some last year at Big Lots for fun.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do remember candy cigarettes, and buying them occasionally when I’d buy a bag of penny candy.  I also remember “denouncing” candy cigarettes.   

I grew up in a large family of smokers.   My paternal grandparents grew tobacco for their personal use, and the only non-smokers was my maternal grandmother and one of my dad’s sisters.   Our house would get so hazy from cigarette smoke during family get-together, I would go to my room, shut the door and open the window in order to breathe clean air.   

I absolutely HATED dumping and washing ashtrays, which my mother made me do several times a week.   I would’ve rather been sent to the garden to pull runners off strawberry plants in the hot sun, or picked beetles off the beans and potatoes than dump and wash ashtrays.   I was about 10 years old when I told my mother that when I grow up, I’m never going to smoke, or wash nasty ashtrays!   Mom’s response was “I hope you never do”.   

I actually gave up candy cigarettes after I said that, but more importantly, I have never smoked, period—-never once considered it, or been tempted.   I married a smoker, but he smokes outside; there are no ashtrays in my house. My husband does not smoke around me, or in my car, and I do not ride in his truck. 

Honored Contributor

Well, faux-smoking the candy was sure better than smoking the real cigs.

(A few older kids in our neighborhood were real cig. smokers.)

Now I'm remembering those small candy dots on a long, long sheet of waxy paper..............

We sure had quite a few small-ish corner grocery stores which sold lots of candies.  All types/brands of candies. 

Now I'm remembering those tiny Sen-Sens.  I can actually recall the scent of them in my mom's purses and pockets. 

Oh, wait!  Anyone here recall those  perfumed violet candies?  I do believe I saw them at a Cost PlusWorld Market store last year.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't know about the ones with powdered sugar to look like a puff of smoke and never had an interest in the other candy cigarettes, only chocolate candy bars passed these lips.  

Respected Contributor

We just saw a huge display of candy cigarettes last month in Clovis,CA.  A blast from the past.

Respected Contributor

@patbzwrote:

DH and I were remembering fun treats from 50s and 60s; anybody remember candy cigarettes?  Talk about brain washing!

@patbz

My mother wouldn't let me smoke them either!!!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@Carmiewrote:

@Kachina624wrote:

@Carmie   You have good genes.

If I do, I don’t where I got them.  Everyone else in my family has a fortune spent on dental bills.  My dentist said my gums are super healthy. He said they are perfect and it’s rare to find guns as healthy as mine, especially so for my age.  They are better than a 20 year olds.

Too bad the rest of me aged...no one sees inside of my mouth. 

@SilleeMee has better teeth than I do.  She never had a cavity. We are about the same age.

@Carmie@.  Its not fair.  I've faithfully gone to the dentist every 6 months my whole life, have had fluoride treatments since they were invented, have spent a fortune on teeth and they're still awful.  My sister is the same.  It's got to be genes or minerals in your water.  @SilleeMee was raised on Rocky Mountain spring water which is undoubtedly her secret.

@Kachina624  My Husband has had about Two cavities his entire life....he just got his first crown at age 63....  his dentist always tells him what great teeth he has...

I have had at least 6 root canals....many more crowns....receded gums,  had a mouth full of mercury fillings as a child....always had cavities

AND my dentist just tells me what is wrong or needs fixing😕☹️

I go to get cleanings every 3 months. I floss, brush....never eat placky foods.... Floride....you name it!

My husband brushes once a day...never after eating...he does get cleanings  very 4 months. But just recently.....

it has to be genetics.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaidenwrote:

@Kachina624wrote:

@Carmiewrote:

@Kachina624wrote:

@Carmie   You have good genes.

If I do, I don’t where I got them.  Everyone else in my family has a fortune spent on dental bills.  My dentist said my gums are super healthy. He said they are perfect and it’s rare to find guns as healthy as mine, especially so for my age.  They are better than a 20 year olds.

Too bad the rest of me aged...no one sees inside of my mouth. 

@SilleeMee has better teeth than I do.  She never had a cavity. We are about the same age.

@Carmie@.  Its not fair.  I've faithfully gone to the dentist every 6 months my whole life, have had fluoride treatments since they were invented, have spent a fortune on teeth and they're still awful.  My sister is the same.  It's got to be genes or minerals in your water.  @SilleeMee was raised on Rocky Mountain spring water which is undoubtedly her secret.

@Kachina624  My Husband has had about Two cavities his entire life....he just got his first crown at age 63....  his dentist always tells him what great teeth he has...

I have had at least 6 root canals....many more crowns....receded gums,  had a mouth full of mercury fillings as a child....always had cavities

AND my dentist just tells me what is wrong or needs fixing😕☹️

I go to get cleanings every 3 months. I floss, brush....never eat placky foods.... Floride....you name it!

My husband brushes once a day...never after eating...he does get cleanings  very 4 months. But just recently.....

it has to be genetics.  

I go to the dentist twice a year for cleanings, but I am told my teeth have very little plaque.  I do eat sticky foods and sugary sweets.  I brush mornings and before I go to bed.   I floss.. a lot.

i have one crown and that same  tooth has a root canal.  It’s the last tooth on the bottom. it broke.  I also have a small filling on another molar...very, very small.  I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 19 or so, but other than that, I have all my teeth.

i hate milk and never drank it, even as a child.  I was always told my teeth would fall out because I wouldn’t get enough calcium.  LOL. I guess that wasn’t true.

Honored Contributor

Yes I loved them!  I felt so grown up pretending to smoke.

There's a store not too far from me that specializes in those candies from when we were kids... cigarettes, candy dots, candy necklaces, wax lips, sugar daddy, bomino turkish taffy...all that great stuff that could pull out a filling!