Esteemed Contributor

When people had and used books of stamps/coupons for grocery shopping?

I think it was during WW2, but when you would shop, you would use these stamps/coupons to buy things, because of the rationing.

I can see us going back to that, to make sure that nobody hordes, and everybody gets a fair share.

I only remember seeing these books as a small child in the 1970's.

My mom kept them as a piece of history.I

They have disappeared since then, so if I am incorrect in how they were used, please forgive me, and correct me.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Remember Back In The Day?

@Anonymous032819   They were ration books.  Each family was allotted only a limited amount of certain commodities like sugar.  Once you'd used your allotted amount, you were out of luck.  My mom saved some of hers and I still have them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My understanding was that you needed the stamp or the coupon, plus money. The coupon was the way of rationing the quantity, and you still had to pay the price as well. 

Certain foods, like meat sugar, and other things like nylons, shoes, tires all  had ration stamps. Gasoline too.

Esteemed Contributor

Food rationing started during the Depression due to scarcity of food.  The rationing of food and other materials was done during to support the troops.

Rationing was circumvented by people going to the Black Market to get what they wanted.

Trusted Contributor

If you want to really go back it would be S&H green stamps. I remember when my mother would collect them. I don't remember how or what they were used for maybe someone here could enlighten us.

Esteemed Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

If you want to really go back it would be S&H green stamps. I remember when my mother would collect them. I don't remember how or what they were used for maybe someone here could enlighten us.

Yes, that's what I'm remembering, the S&H green stamps books.

It was just a passing thought that, as far fetched as it most likely is, that I could see us returning to that, especially if this lasts for a really long time.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

Each time you shopped you would get a specific amount of green stamps depending on the amount of the purchase.   You would have empty booklets in which to place the stamps.   In our town there was a S&H green stamp store and once you had enough books filled you could go in and purchase an item.  

It took quite a few books to be able to purchase an item.  I remember my mother using green stamps to purchase a toaster.   I seem to remember that it took a lot of books just for that purchase.   

I remember being in stores with my mother and people, usually men, would not want their stamps and would give them to her.   She was always so grateful.  

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

You got to use them for products, gosh i so remember those ,people had books of them,you put them in th book,saved until you had enough ,for what you wanted.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@J Town Girl - My mother collected the S&H stamps as well. It was my job to put them in the book and when the books were filled she turned them in for something. I think it was the store's way of thanking their customer for shopping at their store.

These were not the same thing as ration coupons.

Honored Contributor

S&H green stamps were a different animal than wartime rationing books.  I remember them and my mom would save up so much to get a reward or gift like a toaster.  I can also remember when banks would give out gifts like toasters when you opened an account.