Honored Contributor

Re: Religious holiday stamp available for pre-order

I always buy religious Christmas stamps and they have always pleased me on several levels.  I'm a lover of the Byzantine-looking ones or those showcasing the Madonna and Child work of 15th- and 16th-century Italian artists.  (I think that's the period.  Guessing.)

This one froze me out.  However, I find the faces of the newborn and Mary to be beatific, radiating an indefinable beauty, so will probably buy it.

Honored Contributor

I like it.  The background story of the painting is interesting.

The painting branches out from the usual Madonna and Child depictions.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

It's an interesting stamp; nice work by its designer, Greg Breeding.  It's a change of pace from the usual old European "Madonna With Child" motif.

Honored Contributor

Very collectible, imo.

I like this type of art history stamp.

Thanks for the alert!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Me too, @ROMARY --  I find it very beautiful, and its origins fascinating.  The unknown Peruvian artist, hundreds of years ago, creating this lovely, haunting, image, with elements of primitive, Byzantine, and other influences.   Those fanciful gowns remind me, oddly enough, of some of the gowns depicted in Elizabethan portraits, including ones of Elizabeth I of England and some of her contemporaries.

And the charmingly naive aspects, like the idiosyncratic proportions of the figures, the items being held, etc.--  that's reminiscent of some American primitives.  So interesting!  I'll be interested to see them in person, and will definitely use on Christmas mail.

Honored Contributor

Don't know much about art of history. My first thought was it's a Russian depiction. Not a stamp I'd buy. I like religious stamps on Christmas cards but I'd find a prettier choice.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it did at first strike me as having a hint of Russian influence/artistry.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

This is one of the most beautiful religious stamps I have ever seen.  This 18th century painting  of Our Lady of Guapalo from Cuzco, Peru, represents the remarkable Latin American art style and highlights the influence of both Spain and the Incan culture.  It is a true masterpiece, which is why it hangs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I am very excited to purchase, and I will be buying extra copies!

Honored Contributor

The colors are more vibrant in this presentation, and I am definitely responding more positively to the stamp's beauty.  Did not very much like the greyish look that was conveyed in the original post.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Thanks for the heads up!  Im gonna order a mixed variety ---Winter Scene, Religious, and Holiday Delights

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”