Honored Contributor

Re: Relieved to Know Some FAA Safety Inspectors Are Returning to the Job

@golding76 wrote:

CrazyDaisy,

As a former federal employee, I have been furloughed and ultimately been paid for those lost days.

It has already been announced that all furloughed federal employees -- including those workers who were deemed essential and had to work without pay from the outset of the furlough, and those who are now returning without pay -- will be paid when all this is over.

I know I get that, but you are thinking of the peole who live paycheck to paycheck.  They cannot afford to wait.  That is all I am saying.

Honored Contributor

Auto payments are not that easy to stop.  This whole thing is a mess.  

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

We need the knowledge that only FAA Safety Inspectors possess to certify our pilots and aircraft.  

So relieved that many are back on the job (even if without pay for now).

We people work they should get paid.

They will get paid.  They will also get paid for the time that they were not working.  Always do.

Yes but when.  Some people need their money every payday.  A lot of people have automatic payments from their checks on pay day.  This will cause those peopl all kinds of trouble.  I have heard that some mortage companies and land lords will work with them some will not.  

Federal workers are not the lowest paid members of society.  Automatic payments can be stopped  There are a good number of other people who suffer lay-off, medical leave, ect. that survive.  This too shall pass.

But what about the cases where husband & wife are both federal workers and neither is getting paid? Yes, people suffer lay-offs, medical leave, etc but they are not required to still show up for work and not get paid. Those who are laid off can be at home looking for another job. I know when this is all over, they will get their back pay, but in the meantime fees are adding up on the bills they are missing, so they will be playing catch up for quite a while.

Honored Contributor

yellow919,

I have been talking to former colleagues who have very substantial salaries, some of whom are married to another federal employee.  They needed to be reminded of those who are not able to weather this loss of wages as easily as they are.

No, I did not scold but reminded them that this is very difficult for those with no easy, liquid cash.

And they are not necessarily spendthrifts, those who are hurting now.  Could be that their salary was not that large to begin with and they also put a huge chunk into their Thrift Savings Plan, leaving little liquid cash for emergencies.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

Auto payments are not that easy to stop.  This whole thing is a mess.  

Have had to do it a couple of times, once when purse was stollen and another when Credit Card comprimised.  It is very easy.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

We need the knowledge that only FAA Safety Inspectors possess to certify our pilots and aircraft.  

They will get paid.  They will also get paid for the time that they were not working.  Always do.

Yes but when.  Some people need their money every payday.  A lot of people have automatic payments from their checks on pay day.  This will cause those peopl all kinds of trouble.  I have heard that some mortage companies and land lords will work with them some will not.  

Federal workers are not the lowest paid members of society.  Automatic payments can be stopped  There are a good number of other people who suffer lay-off, medical leave, ect. that survive.  This too shall pass.

But what about the cases where husband & wife are both federal workers and neither is getting paid? Yes, people suffer lay-offs, medical leave, etc but they are not required to still show up for work and not get paid. Those who are laid off can be at home looking for another job. I know when this is all over, they will get their back pay, but in the meantime fees are adding up on the bills they are missing, so they will be playing catch up for quite a while.

These are not minimum wage jobs.  People will get paid.  I would be more upset with the people who are not working and will still get paid. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Thank you for understanding what I am saying.  Lay offs you can collect unemployment.  I don't think these workers qualify for unemployment.  You are right about the fees.  If your account is overdrawn etc you can accumulate daily fees.  Maybe a go fund me page should be set up for them.

Esteemed Contributor

People who are hired to do a job should be allowed to do their jobs & get paid.To furlough people or force them to work without an immediate paycheck is unfair. Their lives are turned inside out.

I personally know a young couple who have both been furloughed. They can’t make their mortgage or student loan payments.They also just lost a deposit they put down on a wedding venue because they couldn’t make the final payment.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

People who are hired to do a job should be allowed to do their jobs & get paid.To furlough people or force them to work without an immediate paycheck is unfair. Their lives are turned inside out.

I personally know a young couple who have both been furloughed. They can’t make their mortgage or student loan payments.They also just lost a deposit they put down on a wedding venue because they couldn’t make the final payment.

Perhaps they should work on increasing their savings if they are in such a dire financial position.  Most employees have only missed one paycheck.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@DJs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

These are not minimum wage jobs.  People will get paid.  I would be more upset with the people who are not working and will still get paid. 

Not all government employees are bringing in the dough. TSA workers make in the 30 thousand a year. I saw a family on the news. Husband is a TSA worker, wife is home with their child. He said they don't make a lot, and now he's not bringing in anything, but still must report to work.