Respected Contributor

Re: Relationships Matter (Long)

@lolakimono , you are a shining example of the good kind people we have in our country. 

Taking time to listen, to hear and to care . 

I thank you and will keep you in my thoughts as you guide this young person to fulfill his gifts.

Have been feeling gloomy all day. You have truly lifted my spirits.

Thank you again.

Honored Contributor

Quiet, smart and humble kids can easily be overlooked. I'm so glad you are there to guide this young man.

Honored Contributor

You are an amazing person, you give 1000% to your students

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono   Yes, your post is long.  I read it all but may not have thoroughly read all the ensuing posts. 

I'm happy to know this young guy has had you notice his situation and that other people who can help, are now involved.  My concern is not that he won't find the resources to finance his future education.  I'm thinking he may feel the need to discontinue school in order to work and help his family. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe his family needs to get some help, so he doesn't have to worry about them so much, and can concentrate on his own future 

I've just recently begun a volunteer job in my community, and without going into the details, it seems the family needs some help.  

Honored Contributor

@september 

If I can get him into the 3-2 program with a full ride, he will be set for two degrees.

The principal has the liberty to choose one student to award a full ride to the CC, but since his is a professional program I would rather see it go to someone else who may only be seeking an AA.

There are several thousand dollar awards available, and some are good for all four years.  There is a scholarship from one of the politicians, which can be up to 28K.  There is one for my area, worth 6K.  I emailed my coordinator to drop his name, but I don't know what the competition is like for that scholarship.  

His parents said they would file the FAFSA ASAP, but they hadn't received their W2s as of Friday.  I told him if they need help, I will go to their house or meet them at the library to help them get it filed quickly.  

Valued Contributor

I really enjoyed reading your post. It was positive and you did something for this kids that no other would do. Most people would just turn the other way but you took the time to take interest and learn and then find the help he needs. Thats the power of good and i know that whatever path this kid decides to take he will ALWAYS remember you and what you encouraged him to do. He is going to need you because reading from your story, it doesnt sound like anyone is gonna back him up on his decision to go to college. I hope you decide to be by his side and showing him the way. Ive had a person like that in my life and I'll never forget him. He encourged me to do things in my life that i never thought i could do. Ive also done the same to a friend of mine who was working a job she hated, was going to community college after a bad divorce. I showed her the way and now she's doing what she loves. Some of us can "see" beyond what the eye can see. You did great @lolakimono and Im so proud of you and this kid. 

~Sending you both light ~~ 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono   The family likely needs more help.  My new job is with Tax Aide, and many of our clients have no idea how to deal with even the most basic tax returns.  We do it all for them at no charge.  Walk them through each step. 

the FAFSA is at a level that many parents can't deal with it, and then where does that leave their children?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every kid needs a mentor in school--my son had 2 from 2 different schools since his chosen field was art and he attained what he wanted with the support of those 2 mentors....you and your kind of mentorship is needed; keep up the good work! There was no scholarship availability when my kid was in school in spite of his talent, but he was guided to Pell and other grants that made the finances easier. He wanted to attend RISD but that was simply not possible; he went to Cleveland Inst of Art, MD Inst of Art and VA Commonwealth for grad school. He achieved his goal thanks to his mentors and his personal tenacity!

Honored Contributor

@september 

He receives lunch at a reduced rate, so the family has experience filling out forms for financial relief.

They are very supportive of him, but since they are immigrants and he is their first born, all of this is new to them. Add in doing this in another language, and I'm sure it's intimidating.  He has siblings- one in middle school and another in elementary school, and I believe that what happens with him will also seal their fate.  If they see how hard he has worked (and the scholarship money he is eligible for), they will most likely follow in his footsteps.  Then it will become the expectation that they all go to college, and not just a possibility. 

I never had to contact them about anything, so I'm not sure of their level of fluency with English.