Honored Contributor

Re: Relationships Matter (Long)

I just sent up a prayer for your well deserving student.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

5 stars to lakokimono AND her school.

Ever read the Wes Moore book?  He has a wonderful thought about the stories kid grow up with.  

@Still Raining 

He has a few.

This one?

Image result for The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates

Yes.  Somewhere close to the end he talks about how children are shaped by the life story they grow up with.  Of course the contrast is between the two men.  The story is usually told by the adults raising them.  

You demonstrated how an "outsider" can change the story.

DD really rolled her eyes when we talked about this.  Evidently the grand kids are 3rd generation entitled and have no idea.  Truth!  Their story is about how to choose between the 2 instate schools, right down to the toddler sweats.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

My school system has focused on relationship building for several years now.  The goal is that EVERY student has at least one adult in the building who can serve as a coach/mentor/confidant/problem solver, etc.

I had a student last year who was AMAZING.  He scored a 5 on his AP exam after a year in my class.  This year, I haven't had any "reason" to see him, because AP is the highest level that he could take, but he has popped in during the "intervention" period, where all students must be under the direct supervision of a teacher or administrator.

In a casual conversation, in November, I asked him which teachers he had lined up for his letters of recommendation.  (He did not ask me, which was sort of surprising, but he has a lot of AP classes that he has taken so I wasn't losing sleep about not having to write a letter).  He replied that he was not going to go to college because he couldn't afford it.  He said that I was the only teacher to speak to him about college, and he didn't even know who his counselor was.

This is a student who is probably one of my smartest, most well rounded and hardworking kids that I have had since I started teaching many moons ago.  I told him that it was unacceptable, and together we filled out his first application for a local school where he could fulfill his dream. 

In January, he emailed to see if he could talk to me about something.  I figured this was about his college application, with a quick progress report.  Something happened in his personal life that was making it difficult to concentrate on his studies.  I told him that I would be happy to listen, but if he felt that he needed "medical" assistance, he would need to talk to his counselor and the school psychologist.  He said that I was the only teacher he felt that he knew well enough to talk to about this. Cat Sad

We formed a plan, started tackling tasks, and he got himself righted. I sent home the FAFSA in Spanish for his parents to complete, and told him about the importance of getting it submitted ASAP.

In the meantime, I spoke to my librarian about his case, and that I was heartbroken that he thought that he could not attend school due to finances.  She has administrative privileges, so when she looked him up in the system, not only had he taken a ton of AP courses, but he was ranked number 1 in the class (or number 3, depending on if they used the weighted/unweighted GPA).    He is modest, but even I didn't know that he was ranked so highly in his class. This was a kid who was going to fall through the cracks.

She emailed an influential person at the BOE, and suggested that she get to know him.  This lady is a fairy godmother of sorts, because her job is community partnerships and finding money.  On Tuesday morning, she called and said that she was coming to our school to meet him, so we got everything set up.  She spent over an hour talking to him, getting to know his interests, about his family, and his coursework.  She has since emailed him with several scholarship leads.

This year he quit a Varsity sport so that he could pick up another part time job.  He has been working between 40-48 hours during school, while maintaining these rigorous classes and high grades.

He is a first generation college student, bilingual, an artist, and he is kind.  From the amount of AP courses that he is taking/has taken, depending on his test scores, he could start college with 22 credits completed.

If you believe in the power  of positivity, would you send good vibes for him? Heart

His application that he filled out in November was changed to "priority", so he could hear back by February 15.  I asked if his parents would go with him to visit the college, but he thinks they won't be able ($$) to take off of work.  I told him that I will take off of work and go with him, because I believe it's important to see the campus and check out student life. I have no doubt that he will get in, but I would like to see him go on a full ride.  He qualifies for both merit and need.  

I am thankful that day in November he came to see me, and this casual conversation about college could change the trajectory of his future.  

Another cost cutting idea for him would be CLEP credits. He could finish his AA ASAP and save half the money college costs. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like things will be looking up for this young man.  ❤️

The last couple of times I approached the idea of college about some students I got lectured about how people don't need a college degree to have meaningful careers.  While I agree with that, it's made me think twice about initiating the topic with parents and students.  When I was younger, college was a respectable goal and even a challenge, but nowadays (at least around here) it seems like just about anybody can get in and ultimately get a diploma.  

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono  Did he take the PSAT? Could he be a National Merit Scholar? If so, a multitude of universities might offer him a free ride. Has he taken the ACT, SAT, or subject SAT's? Could they help him with scholarship offers? Have his AP tests helped to give him recognition with awards so universities might notice for scholarships? The tests usually cost money (not the PSAT?), and I hope that he had funding for any that he wanted to take. What about local scholarships? Here, some of the businesses and unions offer scholarships, and some are quite significant. Are there any STEM scholarships available? I hope he's motivated to find a way to his dreams and wish him the best.

Honored Contributor

Blessings to you and to this student.

Btw, if this applies to anyone interested, some city  community colleges in some areas are free tuition.

From what I've heard.

Anyone in this situation probably should research their area for various 'free' community colleges.

What's nice about community colleges is that they sometimes/often direct students to part-time work in their immediate area.  I believe they're called 'Work-Study' programs, etc.

Also, an excellent (grade-wise) student can move upward in these community-related companies/fields. 

Which, in turn, is excellent experience; and sometimes turn out to be permanent employment in nation-wide companies/fields.

(I've seen it happen.)

Much luck to all conscientious students.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@lolakimono  Did he take the PSAT? Could he be a National Merit Scholar? If so, a multitude of universities might offer him a free ride. Has he taken the ACT, SAT, or subject SAT's? Could they help him with scholarship offers? Have his AP tests helped to give him recognition with awards so universities might notice for scholarships? The tests usually cost money (not the PSAT?), and I hope that he had funding for any that he wanted to take. What about local scholarships? Here, some of the businesses and unions offer scholarships, and some are quite significant. Are there any STEM scholarships available? I hope he's motivated to find a way to his dreams and wish him the best.

@Desert Lily 

He has taken the SAT (1200) but I don't think he's taken subject tests.  He is from an economically disadvantaged household, so he qualifies for reduced meals and I believe that most (if not all) of his testing has been free.  

I have been searching for him, and I just missed seeing one that had the deadline of 1/17.  Cat Sad

His fairy godmother told him that she could probably get him free or close to free tuition at the community college, but I would like to see him get on campus and live there.  I am afraid that if he lives at home he will still work a ton to help his family, even if the schooling is free.  There is a university within driving distance that offers a 3-2 program, so in 5 years he could have his masters.  That is what I would like for him, because in his field it's better to have a master's and he could get it done right away without worrying about how to finance a second degree.

Honored Contributor

Wow @lolakimono .  Please keep us posted.  Thank you for helping his brilliant student.  Can't wait to hear what happens.....positive vibes for this student.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono I am so touched and moved by your post.

Bless you and that dear young man and all the people who have pitched in to help him. Heart

I am thankful that we have teachers like you and those you contacted.

I pray this young man gets to college. I'm sure he will be a shining, though modest, as you said, (smile), star.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan wrote:

Sounds like things will be looking up for this young man.  ❤️

The last couple of times I approached the idea of college about some students I got lectured about how people don't need a college degree to have meaningful careers.  While I agree with that, it's made me think twice about initiating the topic with parents and students.  When I was younger, college was a respectable goal and even a challenge, but nowadays (at least around here) it seems like just about anybody can get in and ultimately get a diploma.  

I am a old woman. It has always been a big deal. You can not put money in a 401K or 503b, if you are making a  wage of $14 an hour.