Respected Contributor

Re: Relationships Matter (Long)

I think what you did/are doing is wonderful, but I am sorry to hear that while your school has this "relationship" policy, they are not adhering to it in at least this case.

I find it very distrubing that someone who is number 1 - or even 3 - in his class has not been encouraged to seek scholarships by whoever is in charge of that - guidance counselors maybe?

I know we are in an age of squeaky wheels and helicopter parents, but schools owe ALL their students not just those who make noise.  And this kid particularly is deserving of better than what he'd have gotten without your intervention.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Nonametoday 

We spend most of our time worrying about the bottom 25% of the class instead of the top 25% or the kids in the middle.

The big push is to get the 9th graders to passing, because kids who begin 9th grade and don't experience success are more likely to drop out.  We give weekly grade sheets, call home, "invite" students personally to come for the intervention period, etc. but we don't devote the same amount of time making sure our top students have scholarship monies they need to attend higher education.   

@lolakimono   I totally understand that.  There just needs to be a push toward academia and except for the AP classes, the interschool and intracity (math, science, spelling), the poetry and drawing competitions, not much else.  There should be as much emphasis put on academia as sports.  I understand the push to get the 9th graders onward.  I think it is the fault of the whole system nationally and how we celebrate sports.  When a sports star is signed to a college team, it makes big time news.  When a national merit scholarship finalist gets awarded, hardly anyone outside the student's famliy ever knows or acknowledges.  

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono.  The satisfaction of being able to support and assist a capable kid like this boy, must be one of the primary motivators for a teacher like you.  Thanks for caring.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The best educators are those that know the work is never just about teaching the content.  

Children are the future, and we are the role models to help them discover and fulfill their dreams.

The "whole child" should always be the priority.

Best of luck to him, and all the students in the world who are searching for their success story.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I think what you did/are doing is wonderful, but I am sorry to hear that while your school has this "relationship" policy, they are not adhering to it in at least this case.

I find it very distrubing that someone who is number 1 - or even 3 - in his class has not been encouraged to seek scholarships by whoever is in charge of that - guidance counselors maybe?

I know we are in an age of squeaky wheels and helicopter parents, but schools owe ALL their students not just those who make noise.  And this kid particularly is deserving of better than what he'd have gotten without your intervention.

@Isobel Archer 

ITA- his counselor is about two years away from retirement, so I don't know if she is just phoning it in, so to speak, or what is going on.  The contact at the BOE emailed the big boss of counseling, and I believe they are going to hook him up with a bilingual counselor.  (He does not need any translation help, but sometimes a pair of fresh eyes will help him get awards that the other counselor may not be aware of).

The librarian suggested that I email the principal to "inform" him about my student, in case he was not aware.  He had been out for four days, so I haven't received a response via email, but when I saw him in the hallway he acknowledged that he didn't know the student.  

As department chair, I am going to award him our outstanding senior award for language, but that doesn't get him any money- just a nod and round of applause at awards night.

Esteemed Contributor

5 stars to lakokimono AND her school.

Ever read the Wes Moore book?  He has a wonderful thought about the stories kid grow up with.  

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono   Bless you for giving this young man support.  I have taught the primary grades here in CA for 44 years.  My former students often return to visit when they are struggling or want to share near the time of going off to college.  You are a special person and teacher.  You are gving him your care, time, and guidance which is priceless.

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono

Thank you for being you.

I do pray everything goes well for this young person. 

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

5 stars to lakokimono AND her school.

Ever read the Wes Moore book?  He has a wonderful thought about the stories kid grow up with.  

@Still Raining 

He has a few.

This one?

Image result for The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates

Valued Contributor

Well done @lolakimono  - your help, dedication and kind heart could be life changing for that young man. Thanks for sharing this heart warming story. I wish that young man the best.