Esteemed Contributor

Re: Relationships Matter (Long)

Wow, nine people - that is a lot to take in and I can't even imagine how nervous he was. All in all the practice set he had probably helped a lot. Can't wait to hear the outcome.

@lolakimono - you are a gem!

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono @Greeneyedlady21 

It sounds like he did a very good job! YAY🎉 

🏆💯🏆

to both of you❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Ladies,

I just got an email, and HE WON the 10K scholarship! 

Bitmoji Image

Thank you for the good vibes.  He is now 16K closer to paying for college.  I also joined this 2020 seniors group on Facebook, where they have "angels" who sponsor these kids who are getting ripped off due to Covid-19 (no prom, no senior awards, no graduation, etc).  Some people have asked to "adopt" him, and one woman said that she wanted to send him $100.  I posted pictures of the custom sneakers he designed for art class, and a lady messaged me today saying she wanted to "hire" him to design custom sneakers for her kids.  This is an amazing "side" business, because he hasn't been able to work since March with the shutdown.  

Valued Contributor

This is fabulous news. So happy for you (and  this young man). Perseverance pays off. See, you got the best teacher appreciation gift of all.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono YAY! He should be so proud of himself, and you should be so proud of yourself too. What you have done for him is priceless, and will never be forgotten. ❤❤❤

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

As of today, we are up to $17,750 in scholarships, PLUS, he has earned a RENEWABLE scholarship that if he files the FAFSA and reapplies, he is eligible for all four years.

The first year has been PAID IN FULL and he can live on campus.  

Bitmoji Image

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono 

This is just getting better and better!

YAY🎉 for him...what a wonderful thing to know that he can actually live on campus and it will all be paid in full!

When our DD attended (TX A&M) all of her on campus expenses were also paid! I feel we were lucky because she really took her studies seriously.

I am sure this young man will too!

So, dorm expenses, books, tuition & fees, meals ....🎉🙂

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 

Yes, that first year he is totally flush with cash. Heart

I don't know if they will allow him to "bank" the money that is in excess to apply for future years, or if they only cut a check for the amount that he needs.

His mom went back to their country to take care of his sick grandfather in March, and then got "stuck" there due to Covid and the cancelation of flights. She doesn't think she can get back until June.  In the meantime, during eLearning he has been supervising his elementary sister, his MS sister, completing his own classwork, taking AP exams, applying for scholarships, etc. while is dad works long hours.  

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono - Congrats to you and the young man! He sounds like an amazing kid with an exciting future ahead of him.

You did a wonderful job helping him out and coaching him. He will never forget you and the guidance you gave him. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono 

Thank you for being you. Please give your "village" of educators a big hug for me.