Honored Contributor

Re: Rehab places are being choosy about who they will accept from hospitals here

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 @When I last spoke with my cousins, the hospital social workers were not aware that my cousins were capable, trained and had equipment. They helped her out with a broken hip and she made good progress. They live with her. I don't think the hospital knows they live with her either.

Honored Contributor

Re: Rehab places are being choosy about who they will accept from hospitals here

@qbetzforreal @I understand. Weight was the goal from her last injury. I think my cousins fed her a bit too much for her limited activity level. They already started 

reducing calories for her. When the person from the hospital's food ordering came in the room they, and my aunt, requested lower calorie options for her dinner and breakfast. I could hear the whole thing because we were FaceTiming when it occurred. My aunt was already going to lose weight because the hospital had just told her to do so. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Your cousins should meet with someone at the rehab facility, explain the situation, and request to sign her out for at home care.   

They can also sign her out AMA.   

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I wonder if it's a staffing issue. They may have the beds but not the personnel to take care of that many patients.

I know we can't keep staff around my workplace either.

@Laura14   I was thinking the same thing.  

@Mindy D   I hope things work out for your Aunt and it seems your cousins caring for her at home is a better option?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@RedTop @They would need to get an order from someone for home care.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

Is she cognizant of making her own choices?

If yes, your cousins have no power over her health care.

Unfortunately, as long as your aunt has complete mental functions, there's really nothing they can do.

Now, if your cousin or cousins have power of health care, there's a lot they can do.

If you didn't already, you can look up the care facility on the internet and view their inspections and violations.  Someone though should be looking out for her daily. 

Hopefully someone can prove to you or your cousins that Medicare will pick this cost of rehab up.  I know its easier to go from the hospital to rehab but she wasn't admitted in so that confused me.  If this isn't all checked over, somebody is going to have some big bills.

To talk to Medicare, you need a form signed by your aunt and whomever has the authorization given to speak to them or they won't tell you anything.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D 

State Code governing hospitals, live-in rehabs, and nursing homes dictates the requirements for minimum staffing based on patient census & care level.

While their census may not be at full capacity, the staffing issues could well be why others turned her away.

FYI ~Your thread title suggested to me patients were being evaluated and either accepted or refused for reasons that are illegal.

Honored Contributor

If you have Medicare, you MUST spend three inpatient days in the hospital before you can be transferred to a rehab facility.

If you don't, insurance won't cover it.

That's why they are picky.  They want paid.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   If your aunt is mentally capable, can't she just say she wants to go home???  I don't think any facility can keep you against your will???

Respected Contributor

My BF went to rehab last year after a long term hospital stay due to gallbladder removal which turned into pancreatitis which turned into pancreatic necrosis.  He was 64 at the time, ended up with a stage 4 bedsore and couldn't walk without a walker. 

Initially rehab wouldn't take him as he was still on IVs (couldn't tolerate tube feedings). So he went to LTAC (Long Term Acute Care) for two week and then to an acute rehab facility.  The facility's maximum stay was 2 weeks and it was very intense physical therapy and occupational therapy. 

I hope you can find a more satisfactory solution for your aunt.