Honored Contributor

Re: Redirected my spending today

I don't donate cash to very many charities, but St Jude is one that I do on a regular basis. 

Honored Contributor

@Dinaki wrote:

I donate  some money every month to the LGBT community for those who cannot afford the SRS and also that they have been abused and neglected by their families.

A worthy cause, for sure, @Dinaki.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@vsm wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I usually make a QVC purchase once or twice a month (usually clothes) but since the pandemic and stay home recommendations, I have no need to buy more clothes. My closet is full and  some items have not even been worn yet.  I'm not going out to dinner and I'm watching church service online.  

So today I bought a  $100 ticket for the St. Jude Home giveaway. Every year they build a new home in my area and sell tickets to those living in the area to win the home and other prizes. The proceeds go towards treatment and care for children and families while they are at St. Jude Hospital for children in Memphis TN.  I feel like my money went for a good cause instead of buying more stuff that I don't really need. I doubt I will win the home but at least I made a contribution to a good cause.

Good purchase for me today!

@Goodie2shoes     and it is a year end tax write off for donation too! Win Win!

Unlikely.  Since she received something for her money -- namely, a chance at winning the giveaway -- it doesn't qualify as a "donation."  That's why raffle tickets are not deductible.

It qualifies as a donation if the donor does not receive anything. 

@Silver Lining  In this case the donor is getting a ticket in a raffle on a house.  So not deductible. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@esmerelda, you're right. Thanks, I didn't read it correctly :-)

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I usually make a QVC purchase once or twice a month (usually clothes) but since the pandemic and stay home recommendations, I have no need to buy more clothes. My closet is full and  some items have not even been worn yet.  I'm not going out to dinner and I'm watching church service online.  

So today I bought a  $100 ticket for the St. Jude Home giveaway. Every year they build a new home in my area and sell tickets to those living in the area to win the home and other prizes. The proceeds go towards treatment and care for children and families while they are at St. Jude Hospital for children in Memphis TN.  I feel like my money went for a good cause instead of buying more stuff that I don't really need. I doubt I will win the home but at least I made a contribution to a good cause.

Good purchase for me today!

@Goodie2shoes     and it is a year end tax write off for donation too! Win Win!

Unlikely.  Since she received something for her money -- namely, a chance at winning the giveaway -- it doesn't qualify as a "donation."  That's why raffle tickets are not deductible.

@vsm I would skip the raffle ticket then.... just donate and take the tax deduction....low chance for winning these kinds of contests....often times they have so many way in the rules  to not giveaway the home in the end....  many are written up so that they are a kind of a scam.

Esteemed Contributor

And I thought I was cynical.

I think this is the 20th year for this St. Jude raffle.  If it was anything but legit, I think it would have been discovered by now.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

When I got my stimulus I sent it to the local food bank bc they said that bc people were losing their jobs they had a lot more people in need of food.