Respected Contributor

Red Cross Needs Healthy Blood Donors

Honored Contributor

Re: Red Cross Needs Healthy Blood Donors

Do they test for the virus first?  What if someone was infected and showed no symptoms?

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Do they test for the virus first?  What if someone was infected and showed no symptoms?

I would hope they tested for it and everything else 1st before they give donated blood to anyone.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the information @ms traditional.  So very important to try and keep our blood supply up during this time.  Many areas are cutting back on elective procedures in hospitals, but still there is always a critical need for blood for our patients in hospitals.

And by the way, the virus is not transmitted in the blood, so the blood would not be contaminated.  They would have a questionnaire about symptoms, travel, etc. to screen donors, but the biggest risk is to the people working the blood drive and collecting the blood.  I would hope they are using personal protective equipment while working.   I know they are spreading out the donor spaces to keep donors spaced apart to limit exposure between donors. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@pitdakota thanks for all the good info.  this is something people can do to help the community in a big way.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

According to the American Association of Blood Banks, respiratory viruses are not transmitted through blood transfusion. AABB is reporting routine screening for travel-related infectious agents is including COVID 19 contacts to protect staff at collections sites from getting exposed and you will not be able to donate until 28 days post COVID 19 contact.

http://www.aabb.org/advocacy/regulatorygovernment/Pages/Statement-on-Coronavirus-and-Blood-Donation....