Honored Contributor

Re: Red Cross - And Donations

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Noel7  I just checked out the much touted Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah and they don't rate so high either. They pay their chairman and CFO over $200K annually and rake in huge amounts of money.   I don't know where they came from or how they got there but they sure get funds from somewhere. 

@Kachina624

That's sad, too.  This is all so heavy, making money off of the sorrow of animals.  

Regular Contributor

Through the years I have donated to the Red Cross and various other organizations via direct giving.  I feel that self direction to the cause of my choice is more meaningful for me.

i don't understand why QVC is labeling their fundraising effort as a "Partnership in Giving" to the Red Cross.  There is no indication on the FAQ page that QVC plans to match contributions.   A partnership suggests together.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stopped donating to the Red Cross after 9/11. I heard  they invested in a new computer system out of the money they collected for the victims!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I won't contribute to the Red Cross....due to high administrative costs.  Currently looking for an animal fund that will not go into the pockets of overhead, but rather benefit the animals directly.

Look into your local no kill shelters.

I added my local shelter to my planned giving. They do a great job of placing animals and have no 6 figure staff.

Whether cash, food, blankets or good used towels, they all stay at the shelter.

Honored Contributor

That is why I was glad to see that Reels TV Channel asked that you give to Salvation Army.

It is sad that Red Cross seems to have many companies collecting for them. Everywhere I shop they are collecting as you check out. I always say yes - and every stores is collecting for Red Cross.

Red Crosses Administrators seem to be well compensated. 

Valued Contributor

I donate to Samaritans Purse

Honored Contributor

Every month I have money automatically donated to St Jude then at different times I give money to a local shelter that takes care of cats that need operations, etc.  

I adopted my two cats from them so I know they're not money grabbers.

I also give money (checks) to friends who've lost their animals.  What I do is give them a check all made out and they write in their favorite animal charity.  It's just a few people I've known since I was in high school through face book.

There are friends who go to different Churches and I give their church money every Christmas.

In addition to that I have a friend who posts of facebook amazing beautiful pictures of birds, bugs, everything.  She's amazing!  She has cats and dogs and writes about them for us to enjoy.  I send her animals gifts and donate to her favorite animal charity.

All of these things I know exactly where the money is going.  GOD has been good to me and i enjoy sharing but my late husband worked very hard for our money and I'm not just giving it to anyone.

That's the way I look at it.  I think it sounds like many of you feel the same way.  I have to wonder how many people check out where they're donating to?

It's sad that other's profit from the misery of some isn't it?

Esteemed Contributor

For the past 20 years, I donate almost exclusively to Samaritan's Purse (once in a while, I'll donate something to our local homeschooling community and to the Salvation Army)...I like what they do, how they do it, and their message.  I split my yearly donation 50% international relief, 50% national.  

I like that I can earmark certain amounts for special needs...once I purchased everything necessary for a family to start a chicken/egg business and once contributed to purchasing some kind of water system for a small village.

I'm very pleased with Samaritan's Purse.   They are first responders.   They have an excellent rating with Charity Navigator (overall rating = 96.32).  

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

I find telling people who to donate to (my charity is more worthy than your charity, my charity is more fiscally responsible than your charity, ewww I would never give them my money, you're throwing yours away dum*y) to be disgusting, frankly.

No one on these forums can resist dissing and trashing what they don't do/think/believe, or choices different than theirs. Hosts. Vendors. News media. Reporters. Now charitable organizations. 

Can't wait to see who y'all go after next.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I agree with many of the fellow posters, Samaritan's Purse and Salvation Army are much better choices than the Red Cross.  Also, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is also another great choice.  The donations (disignated for Hurricane Response) will be used entirely (100 percent) for direct response.