Honored Contributor

Re: Red Cross - And Donations

@SydneyH-

yes, I agree with you.

None of us need to take offense.

We all just want to donate to charities that are honest and worthwhile and I really appreciate all the comments, good and bad about a charity because I want to find out what is true.

Things that are not good should be exposed.

I think people might get defensive because they may have been donating to an organization or supported one that they thought was above board and really it is awful to find out it is not what we thought it to be and not as altruistic as we thought.

I hope we can keep posting about charities that we admire and feel are really good charities after being sure to read all we can about them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Speaking of charity, I just saw a great idea reported.  Airport food not sold or used was previously thrown out, until a Stanford sophomore created an app to give it all to those in need and the homeless.

Now the food is kept in coolers and various charities like Glide Memorial get a notice to pick up their share,  

I know many of our top restaurants do the same thing. 

I've mentioned before that my daughter is a restaurant manager.

She was recently transferred to a new location and although every location is run according to corporate standards, they are allowed to deviate a bit.

The chain she works for has their own harvest program and it's up to the general manager as to whether or not they want to participate.  She was appalled at what being thrown away.  

As she said just because it's part of a protein that's not restaurant quality doesn't mean it's inedible.  She has started harvesting, makes them vacuum seal it, date it and freeze it for pick up.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Why is it necessary to insult people who don't agree?  And because of what charity they prefer or don't prefer...

Sad to make giving an alter for attack.

It is sad, @Noel7, but it's what has been happening on these forums since the first donation threads after Harvey. Posters have been dissing the Red Cross and donating to it since Day One, as well as animal charities they don't donate to.  So if you're referring to my post or @DiAnne's - we're simply giving our opinion of those who have been ongoing dissing the Red Cross.

The whole concept of feeling the need to put down other people's choices of charity is plain ugly, IMO. I have not said a word, in this thread or others, against other people's choices. I have made no statements dissing other people's choice of charity - my comments address those who are making it a point to diss certain charities/diss people's choices. That's just not necessary.

hmm, you must have missed her post dissing Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. 

@PinkSunset

Just clarifying, but I don't know who you are referring to.  If it's me, I haven't said anything about Best Friends.  I know nothing about them.

@Noel7, I believe she is referring to this post:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Noel7 I just checked out the much touted Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah and they don't rate so high either. They pay their chairman and CFO over $200K annually and rake in huge amounts of money. I don't know where they came from or how they got there but they sure get funds from somewhere.

And you replied - 

@Kachina624

That's sad, too. This is all so heavy, making money off of the sorrow of animals.

It reads to me as if you're agreeing with a post trashing Best Friends (the poster continues to do this in greater detail in multiple threads) - and without knowing anything about them, by your admission. You seemed to take what was said at face value, as truth. 

That's what @PinkSunset refers to and that was my interpretation as well.  Dissing by agreement, without first-hand knowledge.

that's exactly what I was referring to.

Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Why is it necessary to insult people who don't agree?  And because of what charity they prefer or don't prefer...

It is sad, @Noel7, but it's what has been happening on these forums since the first donation threads after Harvey. Posters have been dissing the Red Cross and donating to it since Day One, as well as animal charities they don't donate to.  So if you're referring to my post or @DiAnne's - we're simply giving our opinion of those who have been ongoing dissing the Red Cross.

The whole concept of feeling the need to put down other people's choices of charity is plain ugly, IMO. I have not said a word, in this thread or others, against other people's choices. I have made no statements dissing other people's choice of charity - my comments address those who are making it a point to diss certain charities/diss people's choices. That's just not necessary.

@PinkSunset

Just clarifying, but I don't know who you are referring to.  If it's me, I haven't said anything about Best Friends.  I know nothing about them.

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Noel7 I just checked out the much touted Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah and they don't rate so high either. They pay their chairman and CFO over $200K annually and rake in huge amounts of money. I don't know where they came from or how they got there but they sure get funds from somewhere.

And you replied - 

@Kachina624

That's sad, too. This is all so heavy, making money off of the sorrow of animals.

It reads to me as if you're agreeing with a post trashing Best Friends (the poster continues to do this in greater detail in multiple threads) - and without knowing anything about them, by your admission. You seemed to take what was said at face value, as truth. 

That's what @PinkSunset refers to and that was my interpretation as well.  Dissing by agreement, without first-hand knowledge.

@Moonchilde

Oh, I am sure that particular poster had something else in mind.  I speak from previous, shall we say, attempts. 

you said something in response to another poster dissing Best Friends. I mentioned it upthread. I have nothing else in mind. why don't you just stick to the topic and respond to the comments made in this thread. Making some kind of assumption about what else I had in mind is not addressing your own comments. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@PinkSunset

@Kachina624 wrote:

And you replied - 

@Kachina624

@Moonchilde

Oh, I am sure that particular poster had something else in mind.  I speak from previous, shall we say, attempts.   I think you two have also met.

again? Why don't you just say that you responded the post about Best Friends and animals suffering at the expense of greedy humans instead of trying to divert the attention to someone trying to start something with you? This thread is about charities, not who's after you. 

ETA: Oh, and I see you also gave hearts to Drythe for stating she no longer gives to Best Friends. So with your responses about this organization, you are letting us know you don't support them and thus backing up your original response about animals suffering.  Your choice to support or not support an organization but at least be upfront about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe

I was reading through this thread and saw your comments on Best Friends. 

I would be very interested in knowing what your experiences were in working as a volunteer there.

If you feel comfortable discussing this, I'm just personally curious, as I had considered doing so in the past. 

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

You might want to consider this before stumping for Pallotta.

https://www.philanthropy.com/article/Nonprofits-Need-a-Stronger/156053

Thanks for posting this, I knew there was a deeper agenda.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Drythe

I was reading through this thread and saw your comments on Best Friends. 

I would be very interested in knowing what your experiences were in working as a volunteer there.

If you feel comfortable discussing this, I'm just personally curious, as I had considered doing so in the past. 

Thanks.

@Witchy Woman

I worked hard, and felt that I was able to give comfort to many animals.  Met many hard working, caring people (direct care providers) who have HUGE hearts and a love for animals.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe

I admire that you did this.  For years, I dreamt about spending time out there and then realized I could not handle the emotional end of it.

Same reason I cannot foster cats.  I go over the edge emotionally and that's not good for anyone.

I do donate monthly, but I was curious that you might have felt it wasn't careful with money.  I accept that these large organizations get lots of money and they spend it in a way that might not ALWAYS be acceptable to everyone. 

I do check Charity Navigator, but haven't done so lately.

Thanks for your response.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Drythe

I admire that you did this.  For years, I dreamt about spending time out there and then realized I could not handle the emotional end of it.

Same reason I cannot foster cats.  I go over the edge emotionally and that's not good for anyone.

I do donate monthly, but I was curious that you might have felt it wasn't careful with money.  I accept that these large organizations get lots of money and they spend it in a way that might not ALWAYS be acceptable to everyone. 

I do check Charity Navigator, but haven't done so lately.

Thanks for your response.

@Witchy Woman

No, it is NOT easy for anyone.  I volunteer in disasters, drive relays, pull animals from shelters, foster, etc.   It tears at my heart ever time.  But, I just can't turn my back, when I know help is needed, and sometimes some love makes such difference.

As for the other, I made my observations and feelings know to management when I left and that is sufficient to me.  I much prefer to go to the source.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras