Honored Contributor

Re: Recs for phone system with lots of call blocking

goldensrbest wrote:

Hey, chickenbutt, i have a alarm system,they call me on my cell.

Hmm, interesting.  I was actually wondering if the alarm system REALLY needed a landline and he said it did.  I was going to call but kind of forgot about it.

Sometimes, and I KNOW he means well, he goes off on the deep end with things like that.  I had wanted a tv in my kitchen.  It's just a silly thing, but I always thought it would be cool to have a tv in my kitchen.

Well, I brought up to him getting Charter to run a line into my kitchen and he said 'Oh, that's going to cost like a thousand dollars!'.   Uh, what?   So I called Charter and they said it would be $40.  I said 'sign me up'.  Smiley Happy    I've had a tv in my kitchen for  years now and LOVE it!  

Anyway, the moral of that story is that I have to take some of what he 'assumes' with a grain of salt but I also know that he means well.   Putting this back on the list of things to check out.  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

This morning, HSN was showing a Panasonic system with 250 call blocking capacity. 

It had 3 handsets and a larger desk set.  It sounded great and was $99.  It had a dedicated call blocking number on the handset.  I liked that. 

I know this has been discussed many times, but if anyone has a recommendation for a system, I would love to know. 

I cannot tell you how many calls I get during the day.  I can only block 30 numbers now.  Further, my Verizon system does not use nomorerobo (which has been mentioned here), and has no way (that I found) to block calls.

My system allows one ring before blocking, but I'm not sure if any system stops them before they ring.  If so, that's even better.

Thanks in advance.

Why can't you just ignore the calls?  Spammers change their phone numbers more often than you change your mind.  Blocking them is worthless. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

Why can't you just ignore the calls?  Spammers change their phone numbers more often than you change your mind.  Blocking them is worthless. 

There are many reasons for not wanting bothersome calls or not wanting to clean up after them if ignored (messages, CID). I know I don't want to be disturbed by an unwanted call or to listen to the phone ring or to be interrupted by the phone ringing.  This phone system has cut the spam calls from several daily to maybe one or two a week.  The new numbers get blocked.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

There is another great feature to the Panasonic phones that should be mentioned.  Your contacts can be placed in groups and the phone programmed to silent mode with only callers in specified groups being allowed to ring through.

I have three groups that are allowed to ring through at any time--family, urgent (mom's nursing home for example) and business (select businesses like doctors, vet's office)--the rest of my contacts are either unassigned or put into groups that will only ring through when the phone is not in silent mode.

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613

Why can't I ignore them? 

Because I can't.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp

Well, that's a great idea.  I did see that you mentioned that on another post.  Perhaps I didn't understand it when I read it.

Is that something you figured out on your own, or are there instructions to program that?

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt

My DH is like that sometimes.  I have a TV in the kitchen, by the way, and probably watch it more there than anywhere in the house.

I wanted pot racks for my kitchen and wanted them mounted on either side of a ceiling fan.  I though DH would bust a fuse, but after getting them up, he admitted it was a great idea.

He'll do anything I ask, but sometimes, he resists change of any kind.

I've just learned to work around it ---- just like you have!

Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Also if it robo calls that are bothersome got to nomorobo(dot)com, it will end the robo calls for ever, it is wonderful robo calls ring once and then call stops

I just tried and there is a banner that says it is not available for landlines or wireless phones.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman, there are instructions in the book under Silent Mode.  It is also possible to assign different ringtones to each group.  The ringtone choices aren't great but they are effective.  I can tell by the ring which group the caller is assigned to.

Instructions on how to name a group and assign a ringtone is also included in the manual in the Groups section.