Honored Contributor

Recommendations for removing excess lint in washer & dryer

[ Edited ]

I have a 2017 Speed Queen washer and dryer. Both were delivered two weeks ago. 

I clean the lint trap in the dryer after every cycle and washer is cleaned frequently also. I wash my clothes twice. 

Have searched web for answers and also for gadgets or products to help with the issue. I use vinegar in the final rinse also. I can’t use fabric softener or fabric softener sheets. 

I have diagnosed skin issues and the lint irritates my skin horribly. It feels like needles poking my skin. 

I would appreciate any ideas of how to reduce the lint. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations for removing excess lint in washer & dryer

It might help to switch detergents

Honored Contributor

The skin irritation could be from the detergent's residue.  I use Liquid types,  specifically free and clear of perfumes and dyes.  Such as Purex, All, Arm and Hammer, etc. 

Using liquid types makes a lot of difference for sensitive skin.  Jmo, of course.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I use fragrance free, dye free and no fabric softener. The lint I’m sure mostly from cotton fabrics. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some fabrics produce far more lint than others. In fact some fabrics are virtually lint-free.
I'd look into reducing the source of the lint by getting rid of the worst offenders.
Esteemed Contributor

Wash clothes twice?   Why?    Never heard of that before.  Lint (dryer) comes with certain types of fabric = i.e., flannel - towels - loose weave materials.  Those will shed  a certain amount until the end of time or when they are thread-bare.  That's just normal for those fabrics. 

Valued Contributor

My advice would be to put your clothes in the zip laundry bags to wash them.  I actually use two of them sometimes.  

This is my biggest pet peeve about today's washers.   Supposedly, the dryer will collect excess lint.  That is just not true.   I miss my old GE with the lint filter screen on top of the agitator.  It would collect large amounts of lint circulating in the wash water.  Now, all the excess lint is on my clothing. 

It is so frustrating when new appliances are worse than those made years ago.  These washers do not even fill with water when there is a large load, which necessitates rinsing twice. 

Honored Contributor

I have had my speed queen for 3 yrs now. I have never had any problem with lint remaining on the clothes.

change laundry soap is possibility

It was recomended to use HE soap for Speed Queen washers.  PODS are the best to use in speed queens. If laundry soap remains on the clothes that can cause itching,needle type feeling.  I do know when I got my Speed queen washer i was using liquid laundry soap. the soap was not rinsing out, that is when I changed to HE pods and not a lick of problem since.

I do clean my washer out monthly with those washer cleaning discs you can purchase in the grocery store.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Elri wrote:

@Elri wrote:

My advice would be to put your clothes in the zip laundry bags to wash them.  I actually use two of them sometimes.  

This is my biggest pet peeve about today's washers.   Supposedly, the dryer will collect excess lint.  That is just not true.   I miss my old GE with the lint filter screen on top of the agitator.  It would collect large amounts of lint circulating in the wash water.  Now, all the excess lint is on my clothing. 

It is so frustrating when new appliances are worse than those made years ago.  These washers do not even fill with water when there is a large load, which necessitates rinsing twice. 

@Elri

Thank you for the suggestion for the zip laundry bags. I will purchase from Amazon. 

I might try microfiber towels in the dryer also to attract the lint. 

Thank you. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

have you tried any of the recomendations for helping with your problem of itchy, needles feeling clothing?

sure hope you are able to give the speed queen another try. I love mine,

I just found using  1 pods per load really helped. The speed queen rinse cycle is short. Using to much laundry soap will cause the itchy-needle feeling because the clothes are not be rinsed out.