Trusted Contributor

Recommendations for interstate/long distance movers.

Looking at multiple sites that rank movers. Consumer Groups, BBB, etc but they all are COMPENSATED by the companies. Nope, don't want that. Want an honest review, non-bias recommendation.

If you have moved in the past year or know someone who has and there is company you would use again OR avoid, please share. Thank you so much!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

Re: Recommendations for interstate/long distance movers.

My previous employment several years ago included moving employees all over the US.  We contracted with all of the major moving companies.  We had the most luck, and fewer complaints, with United and Mayflower.  However, each has their own company within the brand.  So it depends on how honest the local company is.  Some tips I can give you:  Be there for the loading and unloading.  Count the boxes and sign for them.  Don't let them do drawer packs; stuff ends up missing all the time.  Take your jewelry and collectible items with you.  Those end up missing also.

Honored Contributor

Try Yelp and Facebook.

Esteemed Contributor

In 2005, when my husband's new company paid to move us, we chose Allied.  They packed us, loaded, moved us, and unloaded from Missouri to Wisconsin.  Very fast, very efficient, very careful.  Last year, we retired and moved from Wisconsin to Texas.  We did that move ourselves using PODS.  It was definitely more work for us, but not nearly as expensive as a moving company.  It was efficient and our belongings arrived without damage.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

I've moved long distance three times through my employer.  First time used Allied, next two were Budd.  No issues with either carrier.

Valued Contributor

It's been more than one year. In December 2018 I moved from the Chicago suburbs to an area just outside of Fort Lauderdale. I used the PODS service. Much more affordable than a moving service even with hiring movers each end to load and unload the POD container.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have done A LOT of long haul moves  (15) and have probably used all of the major carriers.  In recent years have used Allied twice and Mayflower.  Had no problems with either company and had great crews.  Make sure that the same crew will be loading/unloading on both ends, not just the driver.  I'm sure you know this but take care of the crew  (lunches, drinks all day, even beer at the end of the day) and they will take care of you.

Respected Contributor

Mayflower.  My family has used them cross country three times and twice they coordinated three of our households in one move (my daughter and her fam - big house); our housekeeper and her husband (apartment); and myself - two story townhouse. Have grandchildren will travel...

We are ALL still together - in our own homes, same land (several acres) here in Texas but If I would ever have to move again I would call them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have moved all over the country over the years (husband job transfers-company sent what company was available to move us to new home). I too found Mayflower the best . I used mayflower as my first move 50 years ago when I moved from Midwest to east coast to meet up with my husband way back when, found them to be really really good.

St. Andrew was also excellent (California-Mid west move) but I believe they only drove as far as Nebraska and furniture was transferred to another truck for remainder of move.  Lost much on that move

Good luck on finding a company you feel comfortable with on your new adventure move

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

In 2005, when my husband's new company paid to move us, we chose Allied.  They packed us, loaded, moved us, and unloaded from Missouri to Wisconsin.  Very fast, very efficient, very careful.  Last year, we retired and moved from Wisconsin to Texas.  We did that move ourselves using PODS.  It was definitely more work for us, but not nearly as expensive as a moving company.  It was efficient and our belongings arrived without damage.

Another vote for Allied.   When we moved from the Philly area to Santa Fe in 2018, we were going to get quotes from 3 but the Allied guy out of Delaware came first and we didn't look at any others.   He was so professional, answered every question and we didn't have many because he covered everything 100%.  They also used some 3rd party people for a couple of things and they were all great too.   Our things went in storage in DE until we found a place and they got them right here.   They used a local firm from ALB to SF and they were fabulous.   It rained all day and you would have thought the sun was shinning; they never even mentioned it.  From the time the Allied agent walked in our door in PA to the last guys leaving in SF, we were thrilled.   Not one crack, break or scratch on anything.   I know this can vary from location to location but if you are anywhere near the tri state area, you can't go wrong with them.

Another moving company might have been cheaper but we wouldn't have changed a thing.  It was worth every penny.  I read horror stories online when doing my search but our move was perfect.