Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations Made to Israeli Government for Staged Reopen of Israeli Economy

We now know how the virus is spread. It hasn't spread as rapidly as many had forecast which implies its not spread as easily as many had predicted. Reasonable precautions (mask, gloves, hand washing, etc.) can protect you as individuals. You're always going to have idiots who engage in risky behavior, but you can protect yourself. I suspect we'll see a return to normal sooner rather than later. It will be a new normal, but a return to normal before too much longer. The new normal will find lots more people wearing masks and gloves than before, but as changes go, they're relatively minor.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Recommendations Made to Israeli Government for Staged Reopen of Israeli Economy

@CalminHeart wrote:

Yes, I think several plans need to be developed because no one is sure about when or how yet.  

However, it's way too early to even think about implementing it in my state, let alone the country.  I live in what has now been named a hot spot and the number of cases and deaths increase dramatically every day.

Our governor buries her head in the sand and thinks it's crazy to issue any type of stay at home order or request masks and ventilators.  She has a secret matrix and not enough people have died to warrant a stay at home order.  At one point, she even said Dr Fauci doesn't know the facts.  

Too many people are out and about without masks and gloves.  If they don't care about themselves, they need to care about others.  The CDC said up to 25% of people could be carriers and not even know it.  

@CalminHeart Are places open in your state?

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@ms traditional   "We" means those over 60 considered now in the most susceptible age group for contracting/dying from the virus. 

I'm one of the "we" you are referring to.  I will not break my quarantine until there is a COVID vaccine I can afford available. 

It's not just the cost of a possible vaccine but if there will be enough for all of us.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@ms traditional   "We" means those over 60 considered now in the most susceptible age group for contracting/dying from the virus. 

@Shanus  if the over 60 group - particularly those with conditions - cannot be protected except through staying at home, then yes.  but some - without conditions - might be comfortable with social distancing masks limited activity.   of course we may very well have that simple antibodies test available in due course which will tell people if they had it.  

i myself go out to shop - as many 60 and overs do - with  no conditions to worry about - friends of mine have their shopping delivered.  personal decisions.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I'm one of the "we" you are referring to.  I will not break my quarantine until there is a COVID vaccine I can afford available. 

It's not just the cost of a possible vaccine but if there will be enough for all of us.

also we know now there are at least 3 strains infecting us here in U S  so not sure which vaccine will cover what.  i'll feel better when we get results of drugs being tested for treatment -  dying to know how they treated Boris Johnson.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus  if the over 60 group - particularly those with conditions - cannot be protected except through staying at home, then yes.  but some - without conditions - might be comfortable with social distancingm masks limited activity.   of course we may very well have that pin ****** antibodies test available in due course which will tell people if they had it.  

i myself go out to shop - as many 60 and overs do - with  no conditions to worry about - friends of mine have their shopping delivered.  personal decisions.

@ms traditional   Hi. No conditions here either, but going out w/ gloves, mask to grocery store protects me. If so many more folks are allowed "out" to open and serve in restaurants, for example, who will be regulating their safety measures? There are just so many "ifs". Not trying to be difficult, just posing questions about possible backlash.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus  if the over 60 group - particularly those with conditions - cannot be protected except through staying at home, then yes.  but some - without conditions - might be comfortable with social distancingm masks limited activity.   of course we may very well have that pin ****** antibodies test available in due course which will tell people if they had it.  

@ms traditional   Hi. No conditions here either, but going out w/ gloves, mask to grocery store protects me. If so many more folks are allowed "out" to open and serve in restaurants, for example, who will be regulating their safety measures? There are just so many "ifs". Not trying to be difficult, just posing questions about possible backlash.

@Shanus   we just have to stay tuned!    since we live under a system of federalism you'll probably learn more from your state and local health people. but even Dr Fauci expects gradual rollback starting next month.  if things in your area make you uncomfortable,  you always have the option of staying home.  or going at low traffic times.  i do feel gloves masks washing of hands social distancing etc will be with us for a time. 
Trusted Contributor

I don't remember where I read this...it was either a UK news article, Italian or US...not sure.

It discussed how to reopen cities/communities as the numbers were going down in order to keep financial destruction at bay. Allowing specific age groups, those that tested negative to return to the work force and school with extremely strict guidelines regarding health standards for those doing this. What stood out was the recommendation that ALL who are in the high risk group (age, health issues) should NOT BE ALLOWED to leave their home UNTIL a proven vaccine is available.

I thought "I'll be home for YEARS if this happens". That said, the article made sense and it would allow the majority to return to life outside the home as well as turn the financial tide. *sigh*

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Good to hear plans to reopen stores and restaurants in stages and limit employees and number of customers entering. I still don't feel comfortable or confident being around others until I know it's determined this pandemic is under control. What we could we have is another outbreak and it starts all over. 

i don't know anyone who recommended just flipping an "on" switch - in fact, the opposite.

i think we'll be hearing from some states this week as to how they will handle.

stay tuned.

I think it is way too early to start opening anything.  If the government needs to pass another stimulus package do it.  Can't put people at risk.  At this point many people do not have insurance.  More important stuff to think about.  

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

We now know how the virus is spread. It hasn't spread as rapidly as many had forecast which implies its not spread as easily as many had predicted. Reasonable precautions (mask, gloves, hand washing, etc.) can protect you as individuals. You're always going to have idiots who engage in risky behavior, but you can protect yourself. I suspect we'll see a return to normal sooner rather than later. It will be a new normal, but a return to normal before too much longer. The new normal will find lots more people wearing masks and gloves than before, but as changes go, they're relatively minor.

@gardenman 

My understanding is that it hasn't spread as rapidly because of mitigation, not because it's not as contagious as we thought.