Respected Contributor

Recommendations Made to Israeli Government for Staged Reopen of Israeli Economy

On Saturday evening, Israel’s Treasury accepted a four-stage coronavirus exit plan to revive the Israeli economy, presented by a specially commissioned finance committee.

The committee, made up of economists and financial experts from the Ministry of Finance, Bank of Israel, the National Council of Economists, and the Ministry of Economy, recommended that Israel slowly transition out of the current coronavirus restrictions in two-week phases, in order to kick start the economy while minimizing health risks to the public.

The committee recommended that high-tech and financial sectors ramp up first due to their high contribution to Israel’s GDP. In spite of the potential health risks, the committee also recommended that stores and malls also be opened relatively soon, albeit within limits.

“It is necessary to begin to restore the economy gradually, in line with the steps that will be implemented immediately after Passover, in order to prevent economic collapse and irreparable damage,” wrote the committee.

According to the outline recommended by the committee, the economic restoration will happen in four two-week stages. The transition from stage to stage will be subject to metrics set by the Ministry of Health.

In the first two weeks after Passover, from April 19 through May 3, the number of employees in the workplace will be raised to 50 percent (up from 15 percent currently) and a limited number of street shops and open-air shopping centers will return to business. Special education schools and kindergartens will reopen and the public will be able to leave their homes for reasons other than essential purchases.

In the second phase, from May 3 through May 17, half of elementary school students (grades 1-3) will return to class and malls and open air markets will reopen, under restrictions. In the third phase, which begins a month after Passover, starting May 17, recreational spaces that can maintain social distancing like gyms, nature reserves, libraries, and museums will be reopened. Densely crowded leisure spaces like stadiums, theaters and cinemas will remain closed.

In the fourth phase, from May 31st onward, all closed businesses will be opened. One subject that was not broached in the plan was resuming international flights to a pre-corona situation.

Encouraging the reopening of commercial businesses, the committee issued a warning to the government, writing that “harming the income of hundreds of thousands of low-income households with limited financial reserves could hurt the public’s willingness to comply with the health restrictions required to cope with the epidemic, especially considering the fact that disease risks are not uniformly distributed across all levels of the population.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think it is interesting to look at others' plans to see what might work here.  obviously most of the world is looking to balance health and economic considerations.

Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations Made to Israeli Government for Staged Reopen of Israeli Economy

Yes, I think several plans need to be developed because no one is sure about when or how yet.  

However, it's way too early to even think about implementing it in my state, let alone the country.  I live in what has now been named a hot spot and the number of cases and deaths increase dramatically every day.

Our governor buries her head in the sand and thinks it's crazy to issue any type of stay at home order or request masks and ventilators.  She has a secret matrix and not enough people have died to warrant a stay at home order.  At one point, she even said Dr Fauci doesn't know the facts.  

Too many people are out and about without masks and gloves.  If they don't care about themselves, they need to care about others.  The CDC said up to 25% of people could be carriers and not even know it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations Made to Israeli Government for Staged Reopen of Israeli Economy

A few of our local state legislators have finally come out publicly for the need to ramp up commerce.   They are always claiming poverty in the state coffers, raising our taxes when they can.   I'm sure the state revenue is very weak.  

Our schools are finished for this school year, the kids are finishing their grades online.  I feel so bad for the high school seniors.

Many of our local small businesses should be able to open now, with restrictions.   In Alabama, no matter what the governor says, we are at the mercy of the unelected bureaucrats in the Health Department.

Respected Contributor

the more ideas the better - each state is different but some things have to be considered for the nation as a whole.  a lot of moving parts and decisions ahead.    obviously those who are up in age or have compromising conditions will continue with more stringent restrictions. 

i'm sure we'll see American creativity used to move us forward - how to separate people and still operate an assembly line or a restaurant or a religious service, use of staggered hours, how to use technology even more effectively -  this is what we do very very well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good to hear plans to reopen stores and restaurants in stages and limit employees and number of customers entering. I still don't feel comfortable or confident being around others until I know it's determined this pandemic is under control. What we could have is another outbreak and it starts all over. 

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

the more ideas the better - each state is different but some things have to be considered for the nation as a whole.  a lot of moving parts and decisions ahead.    obviously those who are up in age or have compromising conditions will continue with more stringent restrictions. 

i'm sure we'll see American creativity used to move us forward - how to separate people and still operate an assembly line or a restaurant or a religious service, use of staggered hours, how to use technology even more effectively -  this is what we do very very well.

@ms traditional   So, while businesses open and the economy begins to recover, we'll still be on lockdown because the threat of infection is still out there?

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

@Shanus wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@ms traditional   So, while businesses open and the economy begins to recover, we'll still be on lockdown because the threat of infection is still out there?

not sure who you mean by "we"   - these are Israeli recommendations - not policy.  we will be hearing more about national policy in the days to come with new task force happening on Tuesday (business and econ leaders, governors, etc)  and of course states will make important decisions as well.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Good to hear plans to reopen stores and restaurants in stages and limit employees and number of customers entering. I still don't feel comfortable or confident being around others until I know it's determined this pandemic is under control. What we could we have is another outbreak and it starts all over. 

i don't know anyone who recommended just flipping an "on" switch - in fact, the opposite.

i think we'll be hearing from some states this week as to how they will handle.

stay tuned.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional   "We" means those over 60 considered now in the most susceptible age group for contracting/dying from the virus. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ms traditional   "We" means those over 60 considered now in the most susceptible age group for contracting/dying from the virus. 

I'm one of the "we" you are referring to.  I will not break my quarantine until there is a COVID vaccine I can afford available.