Respected Contributor

Re: Received letter from IRS today

I got my 3rd stimulus check deposited yesterday

Respected Contributor

We got a letter as well saying the same thing which was totally confusing to me but my stimulus check is at the bank pending for this Wednesday. Go figure.

Esteemed Contributor

The last 4 years has been total chaos with federal organizations.

Things should get better but it will take time to straighten out the mess that has been created.

Respected Contributor

@minkbunny wrote:

Hey, Mama, we got the same letter yesterday.

Never like seeing a letter from the IRS, even if I know I have done nothing wrong.   Smiley Surprised

Yep; that'll get your heart going!

Respected Contributor

Yes, we got a letter like that a few weeks ago.  I swear, seeing that return address shortened my life!  Glad it wasn't bad news.

Honored Contributor

We received that letter last week too for the second check.  In addition, we received,one this past summer for the first $600 check.

When you receive your money by direct deposit, they just send it to your checking/savings account with noexplanation.  This letter explains that the IRS made a deposit.

If you get your stimulus in check or card form, you will not yet the IRS letter.  Theexplanation is send with the check/card.

I am sure we will get another IRS letter for this third round of payments in the coming months.

Respected Contributor

@hopi wrote:

The last 4 years has been total chaos with federal organizations.

Things should get better but it will take time to straighten out the mess that has been created.

It's been way more than the last four years

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@77yangya wrote:

@IdahoGram wrote:

I recieved mine a few weeks ago, and it does state towards the bottom to use the information to determine whether you should claim a recovery rebate credit on your 2020 return.  I have included this and the previous letter with my tax paperwork for our accountant when they do our tax return in a couple of weeks.  I believe the letter is more for this use than to notify you of the money being issued.  

I don't think you can claim this money on income tax.  You don't have to pay taxes on it either.  Just what I've heard.  Not trying to be smart.

@77yangya  Yes you can. Ask your accountant.

I called them when I got the letter asking them if we had to pay taxes on it and they said no.  We do not use an accountant for our taxes.

Honored Contributor

It seems like a ridiculous waste of resources doesn't it?!

My son had to get his driver's license renewed recently.  PennDot sent him a letter telling him that they are sending out the new license.....WHY?

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

It seems like a ridiculous waste of resources doesn't it?!

I totally agree. It probably cost them more to print all those letters and mail them out than the amount of your check.