Honored Contributor

Rec help, shampoo for oily hair

Hi All. My husband has oily hair. He's tried many shampoos. Has anyone hair here found one that really works? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Rec help, shampoo for oily hair

My teenaged step daughter went through a phase with super oily hair, we used baby shampoo mixed in with  Apple Cider Vinegar.

Her hair was shiny, clean, and she could skip a day washing it if she wanted to....which she only did on a rare occasion.

Buy the Baby shampoo - find an empty plastic bottle - transfer half into it - then, fill the containers to the top with the ACV - shake well.

Use as you would any shampoo  - but be careful getting it in your hands and on your head - avoid your eyes. 

It works nicely I promise.

Honored Contributor

Shampoos with tea tree oil have been shown to reduce oil and also remove build-up on the scalp.

I have no recommendation for a particular brand although Trader Joe's does sell a Tea Tree Shampoo.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

If there are no scalp problems, wouldn't any shampoo work as long it did not say it has moisture or oils.  Once a day.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would have him try one of the Beekman shampoo bars.  I have found them to be a tad bit drying to my hair....so I use conditioner after.  But a bar may be perfect for oily hair.

Valued Contributor

I highly recommend Jason brand tea tree normalizing shampoo and conditioner. Carried by Whole Foods, but I also find at my Kroger-owned grocery. Priced at $10 each. He should use the conditioner too as it's very calming to the scalp. It's thick, so shake the bottle well initially and store it on its cap or he'll never get it out of the bottle. I apply the conditioner to my hair and then add handfuls of water as I work it into a creamy lather, massage my scalp and leave it while I finish my shower, then rinse well. Be sure to keep tea tree products away from cats - toxic to them.
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D , you might get more replies if you post this in Beauty. There are hair  gurus there who could add to the advice you've gotten here.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   I think this is worth a try.  Aveda Man-Pure-formance shampoo.  $24 @ Nordstrom (free shpg & free returns) or shop at Aveda.  Very good reviews.  One guy said it stopped his oily hair.  You can always return if it does not work for him.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I too have oily hair - when I lived at home, my mother always told us to use Apple Cider Vinegar as the final rinse - it worked, did not cost much and I loved the smell.

I still use it and it also works as a tonic after washing my face, especially in the summer.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

After a lifetime of having an oily scalp, I found a shampoo that not only cleans my scalp perfectly, but lets me have 4-5 days without oily hair! It is by the company "Lush" and it is called "Big". It has rock salt in it and it degreases like nothing else, BUT it does not leave your hair dry. In fact, my hair is soft and shiny from using it.  You can go the Lush's website and order it by the tub.