Honored Contributor

Rec for product or way to smooth my partially gray hair. It’s not dyed.

[ Edited ]

Rec could be anything you use, or do. My hair really needs something to smooth it. I usually wash with Matrix Biolage Hydrosource Shampoo and Conditioner, now renamed Conditioning Balm. I blow dry and comb with a comb for wet hair. 

Last year, I purchased a bunch of Obphlica Seabury products, including their serum. I still have not tried them.

I have tried Chi heat protectant and Biosilk and didn't see any smoothing. I have used a heated brush with ions or something or other. This did give my a bit of smoothness.

I tried a hot rollers set by Conair and the set didn't curl or smooth like the older versions.

I've only tried using a flat iron a few times years ago. I might try again. I didn't have a need to smooth or have grays back then. I didn't keep using it because it seemed to make my hair too flat and I wanted volume.

I have been helping my diet by eating foods associated with hair health and growth. Blueberries really do make my hair grow in thicker. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Rec for product or way to smooth my partially gray hair. It’s not dyed.

I live in the hot, humid south which wreaks havoc with frizzies in my hair (the gray being worse because it's more coarse.)

I found Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Intensely Smooth Leave in Conditioner Cream, several years ago and it's mine & DD's holy grail for frizzies or smoothing hair.

After shampoo and conditioner, towel dry and put a pea size amount of this (I have very long hair) in your palm, rub palms together and finger comb thru your hair.

It doesn't leave hair looking weighted down or looking greasy.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

Hi @Mindy D  I need smoothing with my wavy hair too nd use Color Wow Dreamcoat Spray and Kerastase Ulltime Gold Elixir Oil. I buy the oil in a cheaper smaller size and just a drop works without weighing down your hair. Also Bumble&Bumble Blow dry cream check out. 

Honored Contributor

Keratin treatments or products could help. I don't have the same issue you do. But I use Liquid Keratin spray on my hair every couple weeks or so, and it really helps my hair lay nice and smooth without flattening it out. A keratin product or treatment helps fill in any spots on the hair follicle that are missing their little keratin tiles/scales.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I, too, use  Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner and Moroccan Sleek Oil Treatment. I stopped dying my hair about 2-1/2 years ago and it is now mostly gray.

After shampooing and conditioning, I use some of the leave-in conditioner (about the size of a quarter) along with a bit of the Moroccan oil (size of a dime) mixed together. My hair is a couple of inches below my shoulders.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Keratin treatments or products could help. I don't have the same issue you do. But I use Liquid Keratin spray on my hair every couple weeks or so, and it really helps my hair lay nice and smooth without flattening it out. A keratin product or treatment helps fill in any spots on the hair follicle that are missing their little keratin tiles/scales.

@Porcelain @I was using a  shampoo and conditioner, OGX Biotin and a Collagen four or five years ago but it led to hair breakage. I couldn't figure out why my hair was breaking and had no elasticity, until I researched the ingredients and how it can lead to breakage if too much is filling into the hair shaft. My hair did stop breaking and the inelasticity disappeared after I stopped using it. I know it's not their keratin product, but I seem to remember reading about keratin's role in breakage at the time. I'm probably confusing things. Anyway, I'm willing to go back for another try with the keratin treatments you're suggesting. Is the sprain you're referring to a particular brand?

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain @I was using a  shampoo and conditioner, OGX Biotin and a Collagen four or five years ago but it led to hair breakage. I couldn't figure out why my hair was breaking and had no elasticity, until I researched the ingredients and how it can lead to breakage if too much is filling into the hair shaft. My hair did stop breaking and the inelasticity disappeared after I stopped using it. I know it's not their keratin product, but I seem to remember reading about keratin's role in breakage at the time. I'm probably confusing things. Anyway, I'm willing to go back for another try with the keratin treatments you're suggesting. Is the sprain you're referring to a particular brand?

The brand is literally called Liquid Keratin. https://liquidkeratin.com I don't overuse it. I just use it as an occasional treatment. I've found I have less breakage, not more. But that's just my experience. My hair is very fine and a bit thin.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr