Valued Contributor

Reborn doll collecting

[ Edited ]

Does anyone on the forums collect reborn dolls? I just purchased my first one, he is about the size of a three year old. As a doll collector I have not purchase a doll in over 17 years. I only now have 7, Life-Size dolls from a preemie to a one to a two year old. From Lee Middleton to Annette himstedt.

I have been looking for over a year. I did not want an Aston Drake or a paradise dolls because in my opinion you get a hit and miss. There dolls in my opinion is for children or new collector's.

I found a reborn doll artist on Etsy, in my local area,with five star reviews. After sending several emails, I decided to order, from the picture the doll is very lifelike. In -person even more lifelike.The doll was on sale,total price was $315. I have seen similar dolls price at 500 to $1,000. I will be buying him new outfits .

On a old forum,in 2012, it was stated , while collecting the dolls was nice, taking them out in  public was a little excessive. People collect a lot of things, and some maybe, in others opinion  go overboard. My  dolls not have their own room, my two favorite,my preemie is in a small baby rocker and new reborn is in a chair  in my bedroom.The rest are set up in the living and dinning room, they are displayed antique rocking horses, and a bench in my dinning room.My house has very large rooms,so my displays are not crowded.

I changed their clothing three times a year, and keep them clean and groom The old clothes are donate it to Goodwill..Just as a painting ,I see them as art,and they bring a smile to my face.Will I purchased another one after 17 years, I don't think so,it took me over a year to find this one😃

Honored Contributor

No. I had to look them up to see what they were. They creep me out, but If you love them and they bring you comfort, that's all that matters.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@GRACIE Hi I don’t collect reborn dolls, I collect Blythe dolls but it is so nice  to hear from another doll collector! I love my dolls. 🌸❤️

Honored Contributor

I've seen these dolls used as therapy dolls for people with dementia.

I myself would not collect them but for those who like them, enjoy.  Some of them range in the thousands.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

My choice.  Smiley TongueSmiley LOLSmiley Tongue

Related image

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@GRACIE 

I am not sure of the brand but we had several of those dolls in the Alzheimer's unit of a facility I used to work in.   The were so life-like and the patients were always carrying them around.  

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

My choice.  Smiley TongueSmiley LOLSmiley Tongue

Related image

😂😂🤣 I love Chucky!

Honored Contributor

Re: Reborn doll collecting

[ Edited ]

@GRACIE , from some one that loves babies I have always been drawn to these dolls, but I do not own any.  I do however have a small doll collection.  I have not purchased anything new in many years.  I have some of my mom's antique dolls and enjoy the Bye Lo baby dolls.  I have a few Marie Osmond dolls, Pauline and also Richard Simmons.

I do have two large dolls, but I do not keep them out any longer, all other dolls are stored in an antique cupboard, and get them out on occasion to decorate  for different seasons....several are seasonal dolls, and I have one that is wooden, very pretty doll. Enjoy your new baby doll.

edited to fix typo

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a child my passion has always been dolls,jewelry,and handbags,dogs.At 64 years young. Nothing has changed, except the expensive😃 My dog babies will look but never brother my dolls.Thats includes my dog babies that passed over the rainbow bridge.Gracie passed away@ 18 years,Starr  @ 16 years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GRACIE      This is one case where a photo would have been invaluable.  The vast majority of us have no idea as to what a "reborn" doll is

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment