Contributor

Re: Really QVC Christmas Tree up on Oct. 3rd?

QVC is pushing it and so is every other retailer.  It makes my head explode to see Halloween and Christmas in the same store aisle right across from each other.  And Thanksgiving?  Well, that's totally forgotten.

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I really can't stand the Christmas trees and wreaths sooo early.  Fall decor is so beautiful,why not enjoy it as long as possible? I leave mine up til after Thanksgiving. 

Thats why people get tired of Christmas--too much too long. Also the Q starts showing that winter scene backdrop when its in the 80's here. 

Please let's enjoy Autumn for awhile!

In a lot of areas, we don't really have much fall color, and lots of us don't decorate seasonally.  And where many of us live, it IS in the 80's at Christmas!  Or certainly near the 80's.  We don't much really have cool crisp fall days.  It goes from summer to a mild winter, then tornado season and back to 100 degrees. 

Honored Contributor

Lisa Robertson posted photos of her tree up on Oct 2nd. Beat QVC by a day.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Juniper2 Thanksgiving is not "forgotten" by retail business...it's just not a big selling time for them. Some decor, sure...and of course, grocery stores probably sell a lot more food! But that's about it.

Halloween is decor, costumes & candy...people do spend a lot on those things.

Christmas, though, is the big blow-out...gifts large & small, tons of decor, clothes for parties, wrapping paper, cards, ribbons, gift bags, etc.

Retail businesses MUST MAKE MONEY TO STAY IN  BUSINESS, and the Christmas buying frenzy can make or break their whole year! It's not "greed"---it's called staying in business and keeping the doors open and people employed for another year.

QVC is no different...they are a retail business, and Christmas buying is just as important for them as for any other retail business.

Respected Contributor

@febe1 How is it "shameless greed" for a company to want to stay in business? Christmas sales can make or break a retail business's entire year! If they don't do well, they may have to lay off employees...some may even have to close their doors!

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure many posters expect that Q will quit pushing Christmas because of our dismay over Christmas trees on set Oct 3; it's more that we remember fondly when Halloween and Thanksgiving were celebrated before Christmas took over every aspect of retail as soon as the kids go back to school.

I think the ability of retailers to use technology to reach out via Facebook, messaging, emails, twitter, etc. to anyone and everyone has pushed them to try and be first, with the result that we are inundated with seasonal ads earlier and earlier. By the time the holiday arrives I often think, "didn't I already celebrate this?"

Honored Contributor

'Oh, well', it really doesn't bother me.  Plenty of other things to worry about.   (Meant in a nice, honest, not 'mean' way.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

And since they started this nonsense in June, I noticed most things they show are being suggested as gifts.  This really annoys me for some reason.

It's not just QVC of course.  I watch it so much less now.  They have a couple new hosts with voices I can take about 30 seconds of, so it's even less for that.

The Christmas for 6 months a year has run its course for me.  I just don't want to see it.  So I watch other programming or read.  Nothing really engaging.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@febe1 How is it "shameless greed" for a company to want to stay in business? Christmas sales can make or break a retail business's entire year! If they don't do well, they may have to lay off employees...some may even have to close their doors!

The Q began Christmas in July and has continued ever since. On all three channels. That's shameless greed, @vermint.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624-  I noticed the same thing about the spring-like outdoor set and the Christmas tree...too funny!  Somebody wasn't thinking...they should have at least changed the outdoor scenery or closed some curtains! ha! 

The Christmas tree in October is obviously to get everyone into the gift-giving mode...doesn't work for me though, I at least want to enjoy Fall for a while longer!