Valued Contributor

Re: Really, Happy Singles Day! ???? What about our VETRANS!!!!!!! !

This article in NY Magazine explains some about Singles Day and also notes that over 9 billion dollars has been spent in less than 12 hrs. Retailers are in business to make money so I expect we will see more Singles Day promotions in the future.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/11/can-single-shopaholics-save-the-chinese-economy.html

I am surprised that QVC did not have a banner or message thanking veterans.

Honored Contributor

Singles Day is a Chinese event.  From 360 News today.

BEIJING, Nov. 11 (UPI) - China's Alibaba, an e-commerce giant rivaling U.S.-based Amazon, broke its own record for sales Wednesday on China's Singles Day.

Singles Day is the country's version of Cyber Monday, which is considered the biggest online shopping day in the United States.

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. reached sales of $14.3 billion, a 60 percent increase from last year. By comparison, Cyber Monday sales last year hit $1.35 billion...

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

Oh no!

Now there is a War on Veteran's Day.  (eyeroll)

As others have said, Singles Day is a Chinese tradition.  I see no evidence that Veteran's Day is being ignored.

The real sadness is that some people search out things like this to cause controversy.

As you said, though, some love to stoke the faux wars. I'm actually surprised it took so long for someone  to connect the "War" on Christmas with the "War" on Veterans' Day. Such bellicose, belligerant nonsense.

Time for  a little

Peace

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

At least the Veteran's Day clearance banner is on the top of the homepage, while the more prominent 11,11 is further down. I didn't know what is was about until seeing it on the morning news, so I figured Qvc has a strong bond with Chinese imports and it is a sales tactic.

Doesn't bother me. I come from a long history of military members. My husband retired from the military, too. There are other meanings to this day other than sales.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have vets in my family and friends who died in foreign wars.

But I do get tired of "holiday police" who inform me of the current holiday and how to observe it.  We know these things. 

No one is celebrating "Singles Day" in the US, and I am single!  I've never even heard of this, and have no idea why that would be the name of a holiday in China.

But. . .if people in China want to celebrate it as a shopping holiday--why are people here fulminating about it? 

Holiday police.  It's a kind of oxymoron.  People celebrate as they wish.  We all work pretty hard and all sometimes face terrible challenges.  Why insist someone else celebrate a certain day exactly as you do?  Maybe they aren't in the mood for a holiday at some sad part of their life?

I don't get it.  No one in China is dissing veterans, and I certainly am not.  My goodness. 

Enjoy your observances, solemn and joyous.  Leave others to do as well as they can. 

I just get tired of these threads:  the real Thanksgiving, Christmas, Memorial Day.  Everyone is going to meet the special days of each year with the energy they have available at the time.  Isn't that just common sense?  Why enforce _holidays_, of all things?

Esteemed Contributor

Seriously?

One doesn't need a holiday themed coffee cup to celebrate Christmas, no more than one needs to have a television shopping channel recognize Veterans.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

We have always been offended by something, but now we have an outlet to show it to more than just to our friends, family, neighbors.  Give thanks to what we do have and wish/vote/do/pray/work for changes. We were strong once ...

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never heard of "singles day."  Where did you hear of it?  What is it?

I've honored vets all of my life, have, or have had, vets in my family (WWII & Korea).  I thank them every day of my life & not just on Nov 11.

edited:  I usually read all the posts & this time I did not.  Otherwise I would have realized the OP was just trying to start up some kind of turmoil.

Honored Contributor

I keep seeing this thread at the top of the page and I keep reading it as

Happy Shingles Day!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

I've never heard of "singles day."  Where did you hear of it?  What is it?

I've honored vets all of my life, have, or have had, vets in my family (WWII & Korea).  I thank them every day of my life & not just on Nov 11.

edited:  I usually read all the posts & this time I did not.  Otherwise I would have realized the OP was just trying to start up some kind of turmoil.

OP's *very first* post, too.  Yeppers.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all