Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@icaughtu  I forgot to ask you.  Do you have a copy of your birth certificate from the state you were born in?

This might sound a little crazy but it could work.  Assuming you want to keep your married name, I know that you have your marriage certificate to support the name you carry now, but I wonder if you went to court and formally changed your name from 

IcaughtU - last name on birth certificate  

to 

IcaughtU - the name you carry now

There would be the legal recording of the change from birth certificate to the name you have now.  

My Ma went by the name Bernadette her entire life.  It wasn't until later in life she got a copy of her birth certificate and realized the drunk doctor who delivered her at grandma's house recorded Bernard and the incorrect birthday.  He felt being born on a Friday the 13th was bad luck so he said she was born on the 14th.

My Ma couldn't do anything about the date but she did go to court to formally change her first name to Bernadette.  It had been on every single record in her lifetime except for her birth certificate.

That doctor should have lost his license, what a stupid and outrageous thing he did.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Frequent Contributor

@pigletsmom  Thank you. I think I will do that; go to the DMV in person w/documentation. Boy will I have a lot! I too find this so annoying. I should go close to Christmas and maybe it won't be so crowded!!! And if that does not work I will get me a lawyer. Thank you again.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you to all you ladies for your insight. It helps me with the anxiety and you all have given me some very good advice!

Regular Contributor

I believe there are alternative documents you can use instead of your birth certificate like high school diploma, college diploma.School registration.You probably need to see an attorney.

Honored Contributor

@icaughtu-

I really don't think you need to get a lawyer.

Lots of people do not have the same name as on their birth certificate.

I got a real ID recently and took everything I had in terms of name changes.

From what I understand, (and yes it can be confusing!)

If you have legal documents to show name change and you now have that name on your social security card, you will be okay.

So bring your original birth certificate.

Your marriage license showing your name that is now on your ss card.

Your SS card.

Note: make sure you have your original birth certificate which you said you did; if any copies , that they are official copies with a seal and notarized.

In some states, you must also provide 2 proofs of residence- a bill from an electric company or cable etc, your lease if renting, anything with your current name and address.

You can go online or call the dmv in your state to confirm everything you need.

At home, just be methodical and determined that you have got all documents;  call and make an appointment with your local dmv.

Another tip-when you go, you will see a long line. Do not go into the line but go right into the door and let them know you have an appointment. I am glad I realized this or I would have been standing in that long line for hours and missed my appt.!

You'll make it, don't worrySmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma  It was the 1920's.  Things were different back then.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@icaughtu-

I really don't think you need to get a lawyer.

Lots of people do not have the same name as on their birth certificate.

I got a real ID recently and took everything I had in terms of name changes.

From what I understand, (and yes it can be confusing!)

If you have legal documents to show name change and you now have that name on your social security card, you will be okay.

So bring your original birth certificate.

Your marriage license showing your name that is now on your ss card.

Your SS card.

Note: make sure you have your original birth certificate which you said you did; if any copies , that they are official copies with a seal and notarized.

In some states, you must also provide 2 proofs of residence- a bill from an electric company or cable etc, your lease if renting, anything with your current name and address.

You can go online or call the dmv in your state to confirm everything you need.

At home, just be methodical and determined that you have got all documents;  call and make an appointment with your local dmv.

Another tip-when you go, you will see a long line. Do not go into the line but go right into the door and let them know you have an appointment. I am glad I realized this or I would have been standing in that long line for hours and missed my appt.!

You'll make it, don't worrySmiley Happy

I pretty much ended up bringing everything with me, like you did.

I had a list of what to bring that was enclosed with my license renewal if I wanted to get a Real I.D. instead of a regular driver's license. 

From my understanding of how this works, is that they ask for these documents so that they can be scanned into their system and into your I.D.

This replaces having to produce all of these documents as forms of ID then.

Trusted Contributor

@icaughtu  I think the birth certificate is more to prove you are a  born citizen of the U.S., not to check last names. The person who checked mine barely looked at it before making a copy.   Good luck but I'm sure you will be fine and you won't have to go through this again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma  It was the 1920's.  Things were different back then.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  It still upsets me that a doctor could arbitrarily decide to do what he did.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Regular Contributor

Don't worry.  Florida changed to real ID long ago.   Once you get into the system all is good.  It's just a matter or bringing  proof of birth and/or citizenship and that you reside in the state you want the ID from.  

I suggest you get a new copy of your birth certificate since you mentioned it is tattered.

www.vitalchek.com  is where you can order a certified copy.  Easy and inexpensive, especially compared to a lawyer fee.  I got my Dad's birth certificate about 5 years ago when he couldn't find his and needed it.

As someone said, read the requirements.  For FL we needed to bring tax documents showing home ownership or utility bills showing current address, Social Security card, birth certificate, and marriage certificate.