Esteemed Contributor

Re: Real Estate/Price of Homes Dropping?

@BoopOMatic wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Why are you looking for stories for the U.S. housing Market from UK papers @BoopOMatic ?

Are you not familiar with the Daily Mail?

I live in the United States @BoopOMatic .  I've heard of it, but it wouldn't be my first source for news that's goes on in the United States.  It would be a national news paper or news aggregator like the AP or Reuters.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

USA Today ranks # 1

The Financial Times

The Washington Times

The Wall Street Journal

The New York Times

The Washington Post

The Chicago Sun-Times

The Los Angeles Times

many of these news sources are behind paywalls, however.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BoopOMatic  Only homes that were WAY overpriced in the first place. Waterfront really isn't going down (and we're looking). Homes back in MD either never sky-rocketed in the first place or are still selling over the asking price in most (not all) places.

What is still over the top is the cost to RENT. That has not come down at all where we are or back in MD (at least not where our rentals are located).

Editing to add that ALL states have their pros and cons. Between DH and I, we have lived in 10 sates and NONE of them would we choose to retire in/stay there forever now due to our priorities in Life (which have changed over the decades). Just because a house may be cheaper in XYZ state does NOT mean it's cheap to live there. DH is currently working on relocating back East while I will stay here until our youngest graduates and the #1 reason we are working to move out of Florida is the COL here.  All I can tell you Boop is to do your research; join the private FB of the community if they have one; read past and present copies of the local paper online; look at the zoning habits of the community/surrounding area and see what they've approved and denied; definitely check into it's infrastructure. You can find out a lot by doing this; it will certainly assist as to the "why" of their home prices and rental costs. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee  Thank you, yes, local sources are much better than national publications or news channels......

Honored Contributor

Prices have come down here but houses are still unaffordable to the average buyer in my area.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you ,  for accepting others opinions,,

Be safe,& have a wonderful day. Phoenix

Honored Contributor

Yes--or at least I have heard they are dropping---I am  near the Seattle area--not sure how much or in which area --- and then with the mortgages rising----seems to becoming a buyers market slowly?! 

Honored Contributor

Prices have definitely fallen. But, in San Diego, they were outrageously high. In our area, even though they've fallen, they're still out of price range for many. Rental costs even worse. I think people live where they do for many reasons. For me, I was born and raised in CA. All my family lives here, and that's important to me.  Of course, there are drawbacks, high taxes, homelessness, cost of living in general, etc. We also have beautiful weather, beaches, parks, restaurants and tourist attractions. We bought our home almost 25 years ago. It's nearly paid for, so it's affordable. We're 75, and if we move again, it will be to a gated retirement community. In CA. Thankfully, we are both blessed with good health, for now, so we'll make that decision when the time comes...

~H~