Esteemed Contributor

Re: Real Estate/Price of Homes Dropping?

[ Edited ]

@skatting44 wrote:

@icezeus  @BoopOMatic 

oh yes, mortgage interest rates between 1979-1982 because of inflation  were 16-18% and you had to have 20% cash down ! My 1st home mortagage was 18% and my husband and I saved for abt 5 yrs to have the 20% down on a 20 acre farmette .

@skatting44 

I had no idea that interest rates for homes were that high. Just wow!!

Esteemed Contributor

@pieman wrote:

@icezeus Look, just watch the news, its blasted all over what CA is having to deal with.

If you are offended by that, then you are agreeing with how its run.

The conversation shouldn't be shut down, its on the news daily, some can handle it, some can't.

My apologizes to you.

@pieman 

No apology necessary, but I will say that there are a multitude of reasons why people are leaving the State, and it cannot be summed up in a sound bite by a talking head on whatever station people choose to watch.

I am glad that both of us have chosen to keep the discussion civilized, since there is no need to insult each other on a point of disagreement. 

My home has been removed from the market. I don't have to sell so it's no problem for me to wait a few more years. 

Have a great day!

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

People definitely looking to move to states like Florida, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas. 

People definitely want to flee states like New York and California. 

Don't ask me to provide statistics because they are out there all over. 

Will never understand why facts are so difficult for some here to understand.

Denial solves nothing. 

Because those are cheap states to live in. Standard of living is low. Cost of living is low as well. Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one.

Cheap places to live are just as subject to eventual gentrification and rising home prices as anywhere else.

I live in TN and think my governor's policies are trash. We also have zero personal income tax, which is nice. On the other hand we have 10% sales tax on pretty much everything. Houses here cost a lot less than in Manhattan. And what?

Many neighborhoods in TN have no sidewalks. No bike lanes. Almost no public transportation. Very few playgrounds or parks. (I found the lack of sidewalks and parks shocking when I first moved here. I took them for granted in the midwest.)

Schools with minimal extracurriculars and with trailers as schoolrooms. No recycling. Poorly maintained major roads with potholes. Horrendous rush hour traffic getting into Nashville. There are some towns in TN I don't visit as often as I would otherwise like because I don't like to drive there after dark. Because there are no street lights. And with how twisty the roads are in that area, it's a death trap.

Those things cost money and TN chooses to opt out. Life's cheap here.

Yet I like my neighbors and my community. You can find great people anywhere. Therefore, you shouldn't degrade a state just because you choose to consume in a lot of political news that is biased against it for political reasons.

If I didn't live here, I could easily degrade TN because I would be an outsider who didn't personally know any of the great people who inhabit this place. I could stereotype them as all being a particular way that I find disgusting and abhorrent. But they/we are not. We're all just folks. We're all pretty much the same at heart as Americans.

So it's best to not stereotype. And it's best to avoid nasty talking heads on tv that want you to hate and degrade an entire state. I mean, what's in it for them to get you to feel that way?

Here's another interesting part of this all @Porcelain :  many who are "supposedly" fleeing the high falut'n big city states are bringing their high falut'n attitudes with them to those small red states.  What a gas.  They are just relocating, their ideologies will remain in tact.

Let them brag.....

Not always.

Honored Contributor

This thread has nothing to do with politics, but the usual posters do it anyway.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:
This thread has nothing to do with politics, but the usual posters do it anyway.

This post has nothing to do with the topic but the usual poster does it again anyway.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

This post has nothing to do with the topic but the usual poster does it again anyway.

I will do what I want-your constant political posts are against the supposed rules here. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I have been hearing about prices going down due to the higher interest rates.  I was curious so I just took a look over on Realtor.com. 

The homes in my area are still crazy high!  Even the townhomes are really up there!  I'm thinking if interest rates continue to rise then the prices will start to fall here.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in a condominium in NE NJ on the Hudson. Units are selling like hotcakes and high. Many new residents tell me they work in NYC but prefer not to live there any longer re crime. The demographic in our building has definitely changed. We had many who had lived here since the building went up & were older. New residents are either young singles & couples or families with one child.
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

It's allowed now. If anyone goes there, it's considered okay for the entire thread to turn. I think Community Chat is going to turn into the trash section, unfortunately. Apparently it used to be like that. They called it viewpoints, right?

This is definitely not the reliable place with reasonably neutral common ground discussion (with the occasional cantankerous scoldy post) that it used to be.

I feel bad for the sweeter more delicate posters who no longer feel comfortable reading it. I mean, where can they go to get what this place used to give them? How much more calm and moderated can you get than a shopping channel forum? Facebook goes off the rails and/or lacks discussion. Reddit? I think not. Yikes. IG and Twitter have noxious troll brigades. Tik tok is spyware.

Once Community Chat is fully trashed, there isn't a popular easily accessible replacement for the people who used to come here. There's real life, of course. Offline. But people enjoy social media for genuine reasons.

I do wish there were a few safe online spaces that catered to a large number of people. Seems like there are none. I can see the benefit of having free speech platforms where no one is censored. We have many. But I don't understand why that has to mean that there can't be any social media areas where unkindness and bitter argument are kept out.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Getting back to the topic of the thread..............

It took us 2 years to find the home we're living in now - I estimate it will take at least another year (if not longer), to find the next one, which hopefully be the last one.

We've been looking 2 years already.

ETA:  I just saw this on the daily mail......

The fastest-cooling real estate markets in the US: Sales drop 34% in Seattle as crime ravaged West Coast sees prices tumble amid exodus of residents - and people return from pandemic refuges

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11246035/The-20-fastest-cooling-real-estate-markets-crime-r...